Thread Repair

Old 04-10-05, 11:56 AM
Thread Repair

Hello, since this IS a metal project i think it goes here, feel free to tell me otherwise.
I have an aluminum cylnder head for a lawn mower that blew the spark plug out, taking the already damaged threads with it. I have a parade comming up and i was wondering if it would be more econimcal to find another used head or repair the threads with perhaps a heli-coil or such? Mind my budget is not very deep. Thank you

Sponsored Links
Old 04-10-05, 12:01 PM
Thread moved from the Welding & Metalworking Forum to receive accurate answers.

Old 04-10-05, 12:04 PM
Wink

I for sure would go to an auto parts store and see if they had a heil-coil that fit. Then later look around for a new or used head. When I had more $$$$.

ED

Old 04-11-05, 12:39 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
You should be able to find a used head for next to nothing at any small engine shop. I throw heads in the scrap pile with nothing wrong with them (just have so many). The problem with the helicoil is that you have to drill the hole oversized and then install the helicoil. This removes the surface that the spark plug gasket seals against. If you don't have a helicoil kit, it will cost you more than a head.

Old 04-11-05, 03:19 AM
I'm particular to "Re-Coil" brand inserts, if you should go the repair route should you not be able to find a used head. Any Briggs dealer can order you one of these insert kits.