Stihl leaf blower operating problem

Old 04-10-05, 06:09 PM
JHS
Visiting Guest
Stihl leaf blower operating problem

I have a Stihl BR400 leaf blower that ran fine for a while. Then it would dog down at high speed and got progressivly worse until it wouldn't take any gas at all. I took it to a shop.They fixed it and blamed my gas. It ran for a little while, but is doing it again. I am not going to make any money with it unless I can fix it myself. Any tips? And, yes, I am doing leaves this spring<G>. Thanks, Jay

Sponsored Links
Old 04-11-05, 12:35 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hello Jay,

I think your carburetor is in need of a cleaning. You might get by with opening the high speed mixture screw 1/4 turn or so. It's the screw (of 2 screws side by side) closest to the air filter housing. Also, make sure the exhaust is not restricted.

Old 04-11-05, 03:21 AM
Since the shop you took it to says it was bad gas, did you dump the old gas you had and go and buy a fresh batch?

Old 04-11-05, 05:31 AM
JHS
Visiting Guest
Wrong Oil

I should have elaborated. They told me I was useing the wrong oil in the mix. That I need to use Stihl oil, which I now do. I will see if I can clean the carb myself. I removed the spark arrestor screen a while ago. Thanks

Old 04-12-05, 01:15 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Don't go too far out of the way to use Stihl oil. Stihl doesn't make their own oil. 2 stroke oil is pretty much two stroke oil ,and you should get the same results from any of them provided they are quality oils. Stihl oil might be high quality oil, but it's in no way the only oil you can use.

Old 04-15-05, 07:56 AM
JHS
Visiting Guest
solved

We cleaned the carb but it still wouldn,t rev. The fuel filter was badly cloged. We really haven't used it much either. I think maybe that service department was stringing me along. Thanks everyone! Jay

Old 04-15-05, 02:36 PM
As Cheese first posted, it appears a carburetor rebuild is in order. You may need to go so far as to soak the carb in a quality bath type cleaner from the sounds of it, based on the condition of the filter. Also, how's the condition of the piston and cylinder?

Search this Thread