Bad Craftsman lawnmower problem

Old 04-11-05, 05:12 AM
Bad Craftsman lawnmower problem

I don't remember having any trouble with this mower at the end of the growing season last year, but when I used it the first time, a few weeks ago, it started very rough and just slowly became more so, but it did run. I thought it may have been some bad gas from sitting up in the winter but I realized I had a more serious problem than that.

As I tried to use the mower it stalled whenever the grass was only a few inches high and continued to lose power to where it died every few minutes. I was only able to cut about 30 sq feet before it died for good. Now, it wont start at all and in fact when I pull the cord, it grabs and jerks back very strongly (very very strongly), it cut up my hand badly yesterday and I thought it had broken my finger after I pulled the cord and it snapped back so fast I didn't have time to react.

Here's what I've done:
Changed the gas, spark plug and air filter.

When I turned it over and spin the blade around by hand, I can hear and clanking noise, at a point, that must be coming from within the engine. I saw no obstructions on the blad etc..

The mower is a couple of years old.

Thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-11-05, 12:18 PM
i always wear gloves when starting lawnmowers now, i know ecactly what you mean about how it snaps back, iv gotten whacked a few times. My dad shattered his thumb when restarting our craftsmen a few years ago.

check to make sure it still has enough oil, see if it is still jerks back when you take the sparkplug out.

Old 04-11-05, 06:25 PM
Fade,

I am no expert but I would assume that you have a timing problem. Do you remember hitting something hard with your mower last year? If so, your flywheel key is the problem. Did you loan your mower out to someone whom may have? If not, the place to look is a stuck intake or exaust valve.

Dave

Old 04-12-05, 12:52 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Fade,

The two reasons an engine would kick back like that are: Sheared flywheel key (due to hitting a solid object like a root or brick), or a loose or missing blade. (the blade is necessary because it acts as a flywheight to keep engine momentum spinning in the same direction).

Old 04-14-05, 05:46 AM
Thanks for the replies. This is the first time I've been able to get online since I posted my problem.
anyway,
Yes, late last year I did loan my mower to the guy next door although I used it afterwards and didn't notice any problem, but he may have very well hit something. The last time I used it last year it was fine, it was the first time I tried to crank it this year that I noticed the trouble.

I'm taking it to sears today for repair because this is a little to involved for me to deal with.

I replaced the blade, spark plug, changed the gas and oil and air filter before I realized the problem was internal. Oh well, it needed doing anyway.

I'm thinking it must be the flywheel.

Thankfully, I have this very old 1960's electric mower as a stand by I can use while I'm having the other mower repaired. It's a pian dealing with extention cords, but it does a good job.

Thanks for the replys and at least now I know I know I cant repair it myself.

have a good one.

Old 04-15-05, 01:19 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Before sending it off, you might just check to be sure the blade is on tight. Let us know the outcome!

Old 04-26-05, 09:05 AM
I just got back today from an out of town trip and picked up my mower from Sears today. I had to sign a form authorizing at least $95.00 before they took it, and guess what the charge was? surprise $94.00.

The problem was a broken Key under the recoil. They did replace a plastic flap guard which was broken but probably $15.00 worth of parts altogether. I didn't really have the time to fix it then and needed it so I guess it was worth it.

Anyway, thought I would post an update. Thanks everyone who responded and tried to help

Old 04-26-05, 11:15 AM
With a bill for $94 for a flywheel key replacement and a inexpensive plastic guard, I hope your sales tax rate is about 40%!!! Next time, find us here and we'll walk you through a repair job.

Old 04-26-05, 08:38 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
No doubt! It was the flywheel key after all. A $35.00 job at my shop.

Thanks for the update!