Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Old Tiller will not start.

04-11-05, 07:43 AM   #1  
Old Tiller will not start.

I have a Moore Handley Home Crafters 5hp tiller. Model #MH56cd Serial BA173851a. Appears not to getting any fire. I changed the gas, put a new plug cleaned the carb with Gumout spray. I sprayed starter fluid in the card and directly into the cylinder, with not even a sputter. I also changed out the pull cord because the old one felt like it didn't have enough tension. I did the test with pliers and looking for a spark, and I even held on to the ignition wire while my wife pulled the cord, nothing. I suspect it might be the coil but I am not sure
how to change it, it looks like it bolts up but the wires are attached to the engine. It is a oldy, but it has always been relible in the past years.
Thanks

Sponsored Links

04-11-05, 08:01 AM   #2  
Check for rust on the flywheel. The magnet may need cleaned.
I have had this problem on my gilson tiller.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

04-12-05, 01:12 AM   #3  
Hello Buzz,

Any idea what make and model# the engine is?

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

04-13-05, 03:05 AM   #4  
It is a Briggs. And it was the points, I cleaned them and it worked great after. Thanks for the input.
BuzzKutt

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

04-14-05, 01:07 AM   #5  
Great!

Next time, just so you know, the new coils are solid state. You install a new coil and forget about the points. They won't be needed anymore, ever.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

04-17-05, 03:16 AM   #6  
OK, Thanks

Search this Thread