tecumseh electrical question

Old 04-11-05, 10:06 AM
amoto
Visiting Guest
tecumseh electrical question

Hello,

I have an old Wheel Horse riding mower that had the engine replaced by the previous owner. The new engine is a Tecumseh TVXL220 157234D.

The electric start was never hooked up. I've purchase a battery and hooked up the starter through the original starter switch. The electric start works good however, I'm not sure how to hook up the alternator.

I've checked with the local lawnmower shop, and they tell me that the output is DC because of a diode in the wiring, but were not sure how to hook up.

There are two wires coming off the alternator, a red and green. I measure about 12.5 volts between the two wires. Red being positive and green negative. When I attach the red to the positive, nothing special happens, but when I hook the green to the negative, the engine shuts off.

What do I do?

Will the battery get charged by just the one wire? (ie is the negative side of the alternator attached to the chasis ground?).

Also, how do i check to see if the battery is being charged? In a car, one can usually tell because the voltage on the battery jumps up to the mid 13 volt range.

Thanks
Andrew

Sponsored Links
Old 04-12-05, 01:03 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
If the diode is already present, then connect the red wire to a position on the keyswitch that has battery voltage when the key is turned on. The green wire should be the kill wire to the coil. Red is positive, engine block and frame are ground. Check battery voltage with a voltmeter with the engine running full throttle to see if it's charging. If voltage builds up to 13 to 14.5 volts, then you're charging ok.