Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

engine gift

MO

04-12-05, 11:51 AM   #1  
engine gift

My son took small engines in shop class. A friend of his brought in an supposebly 26hp onan twin. It was overhauled by the students. He did not want it so he gave it to my son.

It is a vertical shaft electric start. All there. My son wanted to make a go-kart out of it. Because of the shaft design I convinced him to waive that idea. I have decided to buy a 10kw power head from Harbor freight and build an AC/DC belt driven generator by adding an alternator also. I have know idea how to find out exactly what motor it is. Can someone help me figure this out.

Brian

Sponsored Links

NY

04-12-05, 02:44 PM   #2  
I'm not sure what exactly you're looking for. You stated the engine is a 26 horse Onan. What more information do you need? I will say I never knew that Onan produced a vertical shaft engine. Are you sure it is a vertical crankshaft? Are you wanting to match this engine up to a generator assembly? If so, the crank on the engine will need to be tapered as most gen power units will require such. And most gens will also need a horizontal crankshaft engine.

Super Moderator

CANADA

04-12-05, 04:49 PM   #3  
Brian,

Making a generator out of it could be a fun project but you might try and place an add to see if someone has a need for thsat exact engine.
I know these engines are quite costly to replace and if you find the right person you should be able to get enough cash for it to buy a really nice generator.

GregH.........HVAC/R Tech

MO

04-13-05, 08:13 AM   #4  
My son told me he thought it was an Onan 26hp. I want to know for sure so I can buy an manual. It is just a engine without covers. As far as working as generator my plan is to make it belt driven. Mount it and the power head shaft down. Get the proper pulleys to get the power head to turn at the right RPM, and also install an GM alternator with built-in regulator . I can use the alternator as my belt tightening idler pulley. This will give me dc for charging batteries.

I have a 250 amp transfer switch that was given to me from work. My plan is to pull the meter and install the xfer switch. Permanently install the generator in a mini barn. The barn is 8 ft. from my meter mounted on a light pole. I plan to get a Nema rate box to put the switch in. I plan to run the exhaust outside. When there is an outage my vision is to throw the xfer switch, plug in the cable at the xfer switch (8ft from the barn) and start the generator.

With only 10kw, I will not be able to run the whole house. I will need to disable the current drawing circuits. It should run most everything on the 110 circuit. I will need to take care in the power sensitive electronics in the house (ie. big screen tv, computers, etc.). In the need of hot water etc. I will need to ration the power accordingly. Am I crazy or what? I can do this for about $400.00. Try getting this done this cheap!

I thought maybe if I took a picture someone would recognize it. Or could there be some numbers hidden somewhere that would give way the make and model of the engine.

Thanks,
Brian

TX

04-13-05, 07:57 PM   #5  
I read a post to a thread awhile back where someone else wanted to mount a gen to a vertical shaft engine. The post said to check with the gen mfgr about vertical mounting because most gens are designed for horizontal and vertical will put undue stress on gen thrust brgs.
Mike

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

04-14-05, 12:36 AM   #6  
Correct, most gensets are not made to be operated vertically. You may have to use a 90 degree gearbox or curve the belt up a couple idlers to get the powerhead in a horizontal position. You'll also need the shroud and accompanying tins that go around the engine. They direct the airflow from the fan to needed areas. Otherwise it will overheat and fail.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

MO

04-18-05, 05:34 AM   #7  
I looked this weekend for numbers on my engine. I found out that it is a kohler mv18s. I believe this is an 18.5 hp motor. This should still power a 10kv gen. As far as mounting the generator vertically I do not see why it would make any difference. Suppose the bearings need to sit sideways? Anyway...I looked on-line over the weekend and found that this engine is quite valuable. Need to get the cowling for it and an air filter setup. Any suggestions on this?

Brian

NY

04-18-05, 03:20 PM   #8  
The "MV18S" along with the spec. and serial numbers will get you what you need for this engine at your local Kohler dealer. Check your yellow pages for such or go to Kohler's website and do a dealer search. Good luck on the mounting-up to a generator!

Super Moderator

CANADA

04-18-05, 03:43 PM   #9  
Brian,

There are differences in bearings that are rated for vertical shafts.
For light duty applications you can somtimes get a reasonable life from a miss-applied bearing, but the weight of the armature on a generator plus the weight of the pulley would cause problems rather quickly if the gen wasn't vertical rated.
Also, when mounting you have to pay close attention to the ventilation requirements of the gen to prevent overheating.

GregH.........HVAC/R Tech

Search this Thread