Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Screamed and locked up...help!

04-13-05, 11:09 AM   #1  
Screamed and locked up...help!

Hello

I've got a Briggs and Stranton lawnmower, 7.75hp I think.

Anyway, this is its first time out this spring. The oil level was good, the gas was good. I primed it (pushed the little button in a couple of times), and gave the cord a pull. Sputtered and died. So, I did it again, and it fired up for less than one second. What happened next happened so fast that I never got to even let go of the pull-cord. You could tell that it was going to go, go, go. At that point, it made an awful screaming sound and seized up. I can manually rotate the blade to retreive the pull-cord, but now it is way too "tight" to start.

Any ideas? To me, it sounded like a bearing, but I'm not a mechanic. And how do I fix it?

Thanks!!!

Sponsored Links

Non-US

04-13-05, 08:10 PM   #2  
It sounds like the "sprag" in the little clutch under the starter assy has siezed. You need to remove the starter assy & the sprag. A tool is available for this, but a block of wood & hammer will work. Clean the end of the crankshaft & lubethe shaft & sprag & you'll be O.K

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

04-14-05, 12:31 AM   #3  
Hello N Dennison!

I think what hopkinsr2 is referring to is the starter ratchet. It does sound like that's the problem. I'm not so sure I've ever seen a 7.75 hp engine equipped with one though. Post your engine model and code numbers and we can help you better.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

04-14-05, 08:15 AM   #4  
I'm sorry, guys. That's a 3.75 hp engine, model 96902. A friend at work suggested that I take out the spark plug and spray some lubricant into the cylinder and work it in a little by manually turning the blade. I did that, and let it set overnight. This morning, I primed it and it started...squealed...stopped. But on the third time, it stayed going. Of course, lots of blue smoke was being blown out for about 3 minutes. The engine sounds good.

Every now and then (20 seconds), it sounds like something on top is "catching"...where the cord is. The cord jumps when it happens. It makes a loud click, usually one time, then I'm good for a while. I let it idle for about 5-10 minutes, and the clicking was more rare until I could say that it was pretty much gone.

I turned it off, then started it back up. The click happened again, but less frequently.

Any ideas.

And, again, I'm sorry for posting without the right info. Guess I was in a hurry.

Visiting Guest

04-14-05, 08:48 AM   #5  
Azis
Still sounds like the same thing, prolly got some dirt n debris possibly a bit of corosion going on. Best way would be to remove the shroud with the starter assy so you can clean it. This is a good spring funtion any way as you can clean the cooling fins of the engine while the shroud is removed.
With the shroud removed you can clean up the starter assy with soap and water and dry with compressed air or let it air dry. Don't use any lubricants on the starter assy unless it is for cleaning and it can be wiped off.

04-14-05, 03:05 PM   #6  
I took the black plastic cover off. I took the mesh screen off to reveal the starter clutch and the flywheel. I even pulled off the ratchet cover to reveal the little balls. Everything looked fine, so I put it back to together...and it screamed like a stuck pig when I pulled the cord.

Question: Did I go deep enough? Should I take the cord off and re-install it? Should I remove the clutch housing?
Should I pull the flywheel off? (The noise doesn't sound like it's coming from inside the engine...it sounds near the top, like you guys are thinking.)

Whatever it is, it sounds like something is binding somewhere.

I can't find "sprag" listed in the parts list. The parts list shows the started clutch as a cover+the ratchet+the balls+the funny looking housing. No "sprag". Underneath is a washer and then the flywheel.

THANKS!!!!!

Last edited by N Dennison; 04-14-05 at 04:23 PM.

04-14-05, 03:15 PM   #7  
Wait, maybe I'm getting it. Could you be saying that any grime on the clutch housing (thing the little balls ride on) could be keeping the balls from getting out of the way after I pull the cord? Since they are stuck in an engaged position, the cord can't retract (unable to turn free when I let it go). Maybe the screaming noise is the crankshaft trying to turn against locked up clutch balls, or maybe fighting the cord spring? I'm trying to understand...help.

04-14-05, 04:39 PM   #8  
http://nevadawalrus.com/classic-recoil.html

First paragraph says it all! Looks like the clutch needs replaced. Found it online for $11.

Thanks!!

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

04-15-05, 01:01 AM   #9  
You were right where you needed to be. Remove the little cover to expose the clutch balls again. Then pull the square shaped peg out of the middle, and drip some oil into the hole where the engine shaft goes. Then reassemble. This will stop the squealing.

God bless!

04-15-05, 02:16 PM   #10  
Cleaned up the whole assembly (rust and built-up yuckies), put the drop of oil on top and...ta daa....runs like a champ.

Thanks to all...and to all a good night.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

04-15-05, 11:14 PM   #11  
Good job!

God bless!

Search this Thread