Shindaiwa T2 string trimmer carb problem...flooding?

Old 04-16-05, 03:41 AM
Shindaiwa T2 string trimmer carb problem...flooding?

Although I rebuilt this carburator (diaphram type) months ago, and it's been running normally, today it wouldn't start no matter what. When I pulled out the spark plug it was very wet. I cleaned it and when I put it back in the engine almost started (kicked once), but after that it wouldn't start. I pulled out the plug again, it was wet and I cleaned it and put it back in...engine almost started again but wouldn't, no matter how many pulls. Note that after I saw the wet plug the first time I stopped using the priming bulb.

To make a long story longer, I did this many times (pulled the plug and cleaned it) and could see the result of the cleaning by the engine firing briefly but never more than a few seconds. I tried pulling/turning over the engine 50 times with the plug out, trying to clear the combustion chamber. I tried using starting fluid, I tried with the air filter off, I even tried squirting the starting fluid directly into the combustion chamber. I also have a device that checks the spark (with a sparkplug in a small vacumn chamber that came be pumped up) and the spark was fine everytime.

The gas I was using was new, and was freshly mixed with 2 cycle oil at between 32 and 40:1 (1/2 oz oil to 16oz/1pint gas). Thinking perhaps I had overmixed, I briefly tried using straight gasoline. The engine did fire and seemed to run but I didn't let it go for more than a few seconds because there was no oil mixed. I then poured some of the straight gas into the oil mix (wanting to dilute it in case I had mixed in too much oil).

No luck, everytime I removed the spark plug it would be wet...I'd clean it and after about 5 rope pulls it would be very wet again.

I'd like to ask for help figuring out what could be causing this wet spark plug problem. Although I did disassemble the carb and replace all the parts from the carb kit, everything is so small and I don't quite have a grasp on exactly how it works. But the diaphrams and gaskets are new, and the little lever/spring was also replaced.

Could someone point me in the right direction, hopefully also with some instruction as to how this little carb works...ie how the gas moves and gets pushed/sucked by the diaphram(s?). I could post a picture of the carb kit parts but I don't see anyway to add an attachment to this message. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

John

Sponsored Links
Old 04-16-05, 03:48 AM
I have to correct something in my original post...this carburetor although starting and running before today's problem, has been difficult to start for a while but would always start (although sometimes I had to use the starting fluid to get it to start). The difference now is that it won't start no matter what.

John

Old 04-16-05, 09:00 AM
You may have a compression and vacuum problem due to piston and cylinder scoring. Remove the muffler and this will give you a good view of such. Go from there. Otherwise, and even though you checked for spark with a tester i'm not aware of (and assuming the carb is not dumping gas into the engine) then I say you have an ignition problem. Sounds to me (if the piston and cylinder are good) that you have a weak and/or intermittent spark problem, meaning you would have to replace the ignition module.

Old 04-16-05, 03:07 PM
Thanks for the suggestions, but I'm fairly certain I have good spark. It was strong enough to zap me when I accidentally got my hand too close; the device I described enables me to pump up a chamber(inside of which is a spark plug) to full compression and I still got a good spark when I turned the engine over; when I ran the original spark plug out of the engine and grounded it...I could also see a good steady spark when I turned the engine over; and also I forgot to mention that I replaced the ignition module a month or two ago.

And the compression and spark were good enough to fire the engine briefly after I cleaned the spark plug and also when I ran straight gasoline.

What I'm trying to find out is what to look for in the carburetor that could cause the spark plug to get wet so fast. How to fix that problem is my primary concern, first the obvious then the exotic.

John