MTD lawn tractor not getting gas...

Closed Thread

  #41  
Old 01-15-08, 04:28 AM
Member
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: NE Okla
Posts: 432
Time to do it right

Cheese is right,
We've exhausted all the baby steps, I would suggest the following:
1) set aside the Gumout and ammonia and any cleaning wires, I've only found Gumout good for cleaning gum/varnish out of gas tanks, and ammonia good for cleaning windows.
2) This is a simple carb and easy to remove, particularly if you have the hood removed, 2 7/16 bolts and twist to unhook from throttle linkage, and completely dis-assemble, .
3) soak in carb bath for a couple of hours, blow out with carb spray cleaner and compressed air. shine up needle seat with Qtip soaked in carb spray cleaner.
4) buy the kit, it's inexpensive, for both the carb and 3 screw pump, it is 10 yrs old and pump diaphragms will be a little stiff
5) With your experience it will be easy to re-assemble, turn idle adust screw out 1 1/2 turns.
Good luck,
thanks,
 
Sponsored Links
  #42  
Old 01-15-08, 05:10 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 19
The Back Of Your Hand

Originally Posted by cheese View Post
Nitro, Obviously you don't have the proper air-fuel mixture since it still won't run without manually feeding gas into the carb throat. It appears to me that you haven't done the reccomended procedures to repair this engine yet. To fix this, you'll need to properly clean the carburetor. There is more to it than a jet and nozzle. It's not rocket science...don't be scared to open it up and see what's in there. If you get into a jam, we can help you out of it (I know this carburetor like the back of my hand), but you won't ever get it going if you don't do something to fix it.

Don't take this wrong, or abrasively. I only intend to spur you on to do the required repair rather than mull over and discuss the problem.

I ONLY INDICATED [ WITH PROPER A/F MIXTURE ] TO SEE WHAT YOU KNOW, AND YOUR POINT IS WELL TAKEN. I BELIEVE I HAVE DONE STEP BY STEP AS YOU HAVE INSTRUCTED; ANYONE CAN REBUILD EVERYTHING IN HOPES OF SOLVING THE PROBLEM. YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO PIN POINT THIS PROBLEM, WITH ALL THE COMPLETED CHECKS DONE SO FAR. YOU SUGGEST CLEANING OUT THE CARB, BUT GAS IS FLOWING INTO THE CARB BOWL, THROUGH THE MAIN JET, OUT OF THE MAIN NOZZLE, SO WHAT NEEDS TO BE CLEANED ? SPECIFICALLY WHAT NEEDS CLEANING ?
PLEASE REVIEW STEVE'S PAST POSTS, HE WENT THROUGH HELL AND BACK, REBUILDING EVERYTHING PEOPLE TOLD HIM TO, AND I STILL DON'T KNOW TO THIS DAY, WHETHER OR NOT HE FOUND THE PROBLEM !! DO YOU POSSIBLY HAVE A PROBLEM SOLVING FLOW CHART OF SOME SORT FOR CARBS ?
CHEESE, DON'T BE AFFENDED WITH MY INTERAGATION, BUT YOU CLAIM TO KNOW THIS CARB LIKE.. " THE BACK OF YOUR HAND." I AM LOOKING TO YOU TO PIN-POINT THE PROBLEM. THANKS, FOR YOU UNDERSTANDING, JIM
 
  #43  
Old 01-15-08, 05:35 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 19
The Back Of Your Hand

Originally Posted by cheese View Post
Nitro, Obviously you don't have the proper air-fuel mixture since it still won't run without manually feeding gas into the carb throat. It appears to me that you haven't done the reccomended procedures to repair this engine yet. To fix this, you'll need to properly clean the carburetor. There is more to it than a jet and nozzle. It's not rocket science...don't be scared to open it up and see what's in there. If you get into a jam, we can help you out of it (I know this carburetor like the back of my hand), but you won't ever get it going if you don't do something to fix it.

Don't take this wrong, or abrasively. I only intend to spur you on to do the required repair rather than mull over and discuss the problem.

I ONLY INDICATED [ WITH PROPER A/F MIXTURE ] TO SEE WHAT YOU KNOW, AND YOUR POINT IS WELL TAKEN. I BELIEVE I HAVE DONE STEP BY STEP AS I HAVE BEEN INSTRUCTED; ANYONE CAN REBUILD EVERYTHING IN HOPES OF SOLVING THE PROBLEM. YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO PIN POINT THIS PROBLEM, WITH ALL THE COMPLETED CHECKS DONE SO FAR. YOU SUGGEST CLEANING OUT THE CARB, BUT GAS IS FLOWING INTO THE CARB BOWL, THROUGH THE MAIN JET, OUT OF THE MAIN NOZZLE, SO WHAT NEEDS TO BE CLEANED ? SPECIFICALLY WHAT NEEDS CLEANING ?
PLEASE REVIEW STEVE'S PAST POSTS, HE WENT THROUGH HELL AND BACK, REBUILDING EVERYTHING PEOPLE TOLD HIM TO, AND I STILL DON'T KNOW TO THIS DAY, WHETHER OR NOT HE FOUND THE PROBLEM !! DO YOU POSSIBLY HAVE A PROBLEM SOLVING FLOW CHART OF SOME SORT FOR CARBS ?
CHEESE, DON'T BE AFFENDED WITH MY INTERAGATION, BUT YOU CLAIM TO KNOW THIS CARB LIKE.. " THE BACK OF YOUR HAND." I AM LOOKING TO YOU TO PIN-POINT THE PROBLEM. THANKS, FOR YOU UNDERSTANDING, JIM
 
  #44  
Old 01-15-08, 06:12 AM
Member
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 128
You need to remove the main jet, and visually verify that
the orifice is clean. If my memory is working correctly, it
takes a 3/16 allen wrench.

Fish
 
  #45  
Old 01-15-08, 06:12 PM
cheese's Avatar
Forum Topic Moderator
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: USA
Posts: 16,818
3/16" is correct.

No offense taken at all ...before I continue, let me re-assert that I am not trying to be rude or unpleasant. I want to help you fix your mower. You'll need to do more than remove the drain bolt and squirt fluid through the main jet to solve this. You want us to pinpoint the problem based on your doing that?

I and the rest of us have pinpointed the problem to a restriction in the carburetor. I don't have it in front of me to take apart and inspect, and you haven't taken it apart, so I can't tell you exactly where the restriction is. Quite often the restriction isn't visible even when it's right in front of you in your hands, because there are tiny passages only thousandths of an inch big running through the carb in places you can't even see.

You said: "YOU SUGGEST CLEANING OUT THE CARB, BUT GAS IS FLOWING INTO THE CARB BOWL, THROUGH THE MAIN JET, OUT OF THE MAIN NOZZLE, SO WHAT NEEDS TO BE CLEANED ? SPECIFICALLY WHAT NEEDS CLEANING ?"

There is much more to the carburetor than just a main jet, bowl, and nozzle. That's what we're teying to tell you. We're telling you to remove the main jet, at minimum...but you haven't. What more can we do to help? My arms aren't long enough to reach over there and do it myself, so you'll have to. I do know this carburetor quite intimately, as I am the owner/operator of a small engine repair shop and I see carburetors just like yours, doing the same thing yours is doing, quite often. They are one of the easiest carburetors to fix in my opinion. I like working on them.

You said: "PLEASE REVIEW STEVE'S PAST POSTS, HE WENT THROUGH HELL AND BACK, REBUILDING EVERYTHING PEOPLE TOLD HIM TO, AND I STILL DON'T KNOW TO THIS DAY, WHETHER OR NOT HE FOUND THE PROBLEM !!"

If you'll look again, you'll see that Steve didn't do anything. He kept skirting around the carb, never opening it and fixing the problem. He didn't rebuild one single thing. His problem, and yours, are both carburetor problems.

Please take this kindly, I want to encourage you to fix the carb, not make you feel bad. At the same time, I am trying to help you see our position here, as folks trying to help others fix their equipment.
 
  #46  
Old 01-16-08, 05:42 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 19
Originally Posted by cheese View Post
3/16" is correct.

No offense taken at all ...before I continue, let me re-assert that I am not trying to be rude or unpleasant. I want to help you fix your mower. You'll need to do more than remove the drain bolt and squirt fluid through the main jet to solve this. You want us to pinpoint the problem based on your doing that?

I and the rest of us have pinpointed the problem to a restriction in the carburetor. I don't have it in front of me to take apart and inspect, and you haven't taken it apart, so I can't tell you exactly where the restriction is. Quite often the restriction isn't visible even when it's right in front of you in your hands, because there are tiny passages only thousandths of an inch big running through the carb in places you can't even see.

You said: "YOU SUGGEST CLEANING OUT THE CARB, BUT GAS IS FLOWING INTO THE CARB BOWL, THROUGH THE MAIN JET, OUT OF THE MAIN NOZZLE, SO WHAT NEEDS TO BE CLEANED ? SPECIFICALLY WHAT NEEDS CLEANING ?"

There is much more to the carburetor than just a main jet, bowl, and nozzle. That's what we're teying to tell you. We're telling you to remove the main jet, at minimum...but you haven't. What more can we do to help? My arms aren't long enough to reach over there and do it myself, so you'll have to. I do know this carburetor quite intimately, as I am the owner/operator of a small engine repair shop and I see carburetors just like yours, doing the same thing yours is doing, quite often. They are one of the easiest carburetors to fix in my opinion. I like working on them.

You said: "PLEASE REVIEW STEVE'S PAST POSTS, HE WENT THROUGH HELL AND BACK, REBUILDING EVERYTHING PEOPLE TOLD HIM TO, AND I STILL DON'T KNOW TO THIS DAY, WHETHER OR NOT HE FOUND THE PROBLEM !!"

If you'll look again, you'll see that Steve didn't do anything. He kept skirting around the carb, never opening it and fixing the problem. He didn't rebuild one single thing. His problem, and yours, are both carburetor problems.

Please take this kindly, I want to encourage you to fix the carb, not make you feel bad. At the same time, I am trying to help you see our position here, as folks trying to help others fix their equipment.

CHEESE, YOUR MEMORY IS FAILING YOU..... REVIEW POSTS # 1 AND # 5 . I BELIEVE YOU, YOURSELF RESPONDED TO STEVE'S ISSUES. FISH MAY HAVE PINPOINTED THE PROBLEM.... HE SAID TO REMOVE THE MAIN JET AND VISUALLY INSPECT THE JET. WHICH DID SOLVE A PERSONS " PARTIAL CHOKE / KEEPS ENGINE RUNNING " PROBLEM. IT'S ONE OF THE PAST POSTS. HOWEVER, I HAVEN'T TRIED THE PARTIAL CHOKE THING YET.
YESTERDAY, I SPOKE WITH A BRIGGS & STRATTON CO. TECH. I ASKED LEE WHAT IS THE " MIMINUM PSI. PRESSURE " THAT THE FUEL PUMP PUTS OUT. HE SAID AT CRANK SPEED APX. 300 RPM, FROM 1 TO 1.5 PSI. NOW, IF I CHECK THIS AND IT'S BELOW 1 PSI AT CRANK THEN " BINGO " IT MUST BE THE PUMP DIAPHRAM FOR STARTERS, OR THE FIX.
YOU FOLKS ARE THE EXPERTS, WHY HAVEN'T YOU'S SUGGESTED THIS ?? I HAVE BEEN TRYING TO DO MY HOMEWORK. THANKS, JIM
 
  #47  
Old 01-16-08, 06:13 AM
Member
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: NE Okla
Posts: 432
Nitro,

Respectfully, you've gotten advice from several experts (I don't claim to be one of them) and yet there's no indication you've followed any of it. Many of us have many units to work on and according to symptoms do what we know to do to repair. We don't have to know all the engineering nuances to repair something.

Good luck,
thanks,
(I'm outta here)
 

Last edited by GlenM; 01-16-08 at 07:49 AM.
  #48  
Old 01-16-08, 08:27 AM
Member
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 128
In trying to help folks online, I usually try to keep them
out of the fuel pumps on these carbs, as they are usually
ok until someone takes them apart, and they lose the springs
put it back together wrong, or break off one of the plastic
hose nipples. Which is why I suggest removing the drain
plug and cranking first, to verify that the pump is functioning

And many times, then, just removal and cleaning of the
jet is all that is needed to get them back mowing again.

However, the ones of us that do repair this stuff for a
living, are only doing this online stuff for whatever reason,
certainly not for pay.
We do appreciate it that the poster at least listens and
tries what we suggest, and also to get back with us with
the outcome, and we will keep trying to help until the poster
has the problem fixed.
But since we are not payed for doing this..................

well......... You get my drift...................


Fish
 
  #49  
Old 01-16-08, 09:56 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 19
Senile... Perhaps ??

Originally Posted by Fisher40037 View Post
In trying to help folks online, I usually try to keep them
out of the fuel pumps on these carbs, as they are usually
ok until someone takes them apart, and they lose the springs
put it back together wrong, or break off one of the plastic
hose nipples. Which is why I suggest removing the drain
plug and cranking first, to verify that the pump is functioning

And many times, then, just removal and cleaning of the
jet is all that is needed to get them back mowing again.

However, the ones of us that do repair this stuff for a
living, are only doing this online stuff for whatever reason,
certainly not for pay.
We do appreciate it that the poster at least listens and
tries what we suggest, and also to get back with us with
the outcome, and we will keep trying to help until the poster
has the problem fixed.
But since we are not payed for doing this..................

well......... You get my drift...................


Fish
HAVE NONE OF YOU, GLEN, FISHER, NOT READ WHAT I HAVE ALREADY DONE........DUH !! THIS IS PETTY; WHEN THE HEAT GETS TO HOT AT LEAST YOU KNOW TO GET OUT OF THE KITCHEN. DON'T EVER PROFESS TO BE EXPERTS WHEN IN FACT YOU ARE AMMATURES. WHEN ONE OF YOU DROP OUT...YOU FOLLOW THE LEADER. I AM STILL WAITING TO HEAR FROM " CHEESE." ISN'T IT A SHAME WHEN PEOPLE ARE " CALLED ON SOMETHING , " THEY RESORT TO KINDERGARDEN PRACTICES.
THAT'S - ALL - FOLKS / YOUR INSTRUCTOR, JIM
 
  #50  
Old 01-16-08, 12:17 PM
cheese's Avatar
Forum Topic Moderator
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: USA
Posts: 16,818
Jim, I wasn't aware you were in kindergarten. I tried to be nice and tactful in my attempt to put you on the right track with your mower. You are quick to anger and slow to act, so I am ending this.

You have not and steve had not done any repairs. If you call removing a drain bolt a repair, then you don't know much about fixing things. It appears to me that you're looking for a magic bullet that will let you fix this engine without actually having to go into the carburetor. Well, there isn't. You might try calling briggs and asking them for a magic bullet, or you can continue to stare at it and hope it fixes itself.

Either you will fix the carburetor eventually, or you'll take it to a shop and let them fix the carburetor, or you'll push it in the corner of the yard and buy another one. You'll see, but I'm sure you won't be back to let us know we were right.

These people who have taken their time to type out their help for you are doing this because they are nice people, and for that reason ONLY! We are not paid, and have no vested interest in the success of this site. We do this purely to help folks. Then there are folks like you who critize us and act like we are amateurs....what a slap in the face. If that is the etiquette of your choice to be used here, then you are invited to leave.

Thank you Fish and Glen for hanging in there with this guy to try to help him. You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink.
 
Closed Thread

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes