Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Power Washer not up to pressure

LA

04-18-05, 05:42 AM   #1  
Power Washer not up to pressure

I have a DeVilbiss/Ex-Cell Pressure Washer I purchased from Home Depot about 3 yrs ago. It is a Model# EXPRO2530 2500psi with a CAT pump Mod#2SFX30GZI with a Honda GX200 6.5hp engine.

I looked at the previous post by maddogskip and am trying to find out what & where the unloader valve is and how to check it to see if that is the problem.

I took it out of winter storage Saturday and changed the oil and started to powerwash the deck. Everything seemed okay but when I started to use the washer I didn't seem to have enough pressure. I'm not exactly a small engine genuis but I checked the water hose and was turned all the way on and no kinks. I have the engine at full speed although I'm not sure it shouldn't be running faster. Seems like last year it was running faster and louder. Anyway to get enough pressure to clean dirt and mildew from the pressure treated pine I had to go to a 15degree nozzle and get 6-8 inches away and that's definitely not right. I've never had to use more than 40degree nozzle and usually stayed 8-12 inches from wood or would splinter it.

There is a pressure adjustment on the CAT pump but the manual warns it is already set to maximum pressure the pump can be safely operated at and I haven't touched the adjustment since it was purchased.

Any ideas?

Last edited by scrollmaster; 04-18-05 at 06:16 AM.

Sponsored Links

LA

04-18-05, 06:15 AM   #2  
I just found in the manual that the CAT pump comes with 30W non detergent oil and I used 10w30. Could this cause a problem?

LA

04-18-05, 06:58 AM   #3  
I think I've found the problem... it's unbelievable how stoopid I've been. I just discovered when I'm changing oil in my engine it's NOT the same place I change oil in the pump. This means that for however long I've owned the washer the oil has never been changed in the pump. I'm going to pick up some 30w non det oil today and do that after work and pray the pump isnt ruined.

NY

04-18-05, 03:15 PM   #4  
Be sure to let us know how it went.

LA

04-19-05, 06:12 AM   #5  
Posted By: puey61 Be sure to let us know how it went.
I got in way too late from work last nite and then had to fix problem on my daughters mustang so didn't get it done yesterday but just finished changing oil in the pump and was it ever bad looking and low. I hooked the washer up and ran it for about 5 minutes and seem to have pressure back though. First chance I have to get back out on my deck for a couple hours will tell although if it worked this morning I'm optimistic.

Search this Thread