installing fuel tubes

Old 04-21-05, 02:38 PM
slim
Visiting Guest
installing fuel tubes

I have been trying to install a new fuel pick-up tube in an old Homelite chainsaw. The tube has a double grommet on the end where it goes through the tank housing. I have tried lubing it with soap, grease, oil, etc. and still cannot pull this tube enough to get it seated in the housing. Does anybody know of any tricks to accomplish this seemingly simple task? I am afraid I will pull this little, but expensive tube apart.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-22-05, 04:37 AM
Azis
Visiting Guest
Use some windex for lube, put the gromet in the hole to the tank then lube the tube and feed it thru the gromet.

It is important to have the correct line and gromet.

Old 04-22-05, 03:23 PM
slim
Visiting Guest
fuel tube

Thanks, I will try Windex.

The tube and grommet are all one molded piece. Have to feed small end of tube through hole and try to pull grommet end, which is a double flange, through so that there is a flange on the inside of tank and a flange on outside.

Slim

Old 04-22-05, 08:34 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Don't try to pull the grommet in by the tube. Use a small flathead screwdriver and push and poke the lower flange of the grommet until you get it worked into the hole in the tank. Be careful not to damage it.

Old 04-23-05, 06:57 AM
slim
Visiting Guest
Thanks Cheese. I have been trying that, but the grommet seat is recessed and the outside flange of the grommet is so large it completely hides the inner flange. Maybe if I hold my mouth just right it will pop in on one of these trys. I appreciate the advice.

Slim