Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

installing fuel tubes

Visiting Guest

04-21-05, 02:38 PM   #1  
slim
installing fuel tubes

I have been trying to install a new fuel pick-up tube in an old Homelite chainsaw. The tube has a double grommet on the end where it goes through the tank housing. I have tried lubing it with soap, grease, oil, etc. and still cannot pull this tube enough to get it seated in the housing. Does anybody know of any tricks to accomplish this seemingly simple task? I am afraid I will pull this little, but expensive tube apart.

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

04-22-05, 04:37 AM   #2  
Azis
Use some windex for lube, put the gromet in the hole to the tank then lube the tube and feed it thru the gromet.

It is important to have the correct line and gromet.

Visiting Guest

04-22-05, 03:23 PM   #3  
slim
fuel tube

Thanks, I will try Windex.

The tube and grommet are all one molded piece. Have to feed small end of tube through hole and try to pull grommet end, which is a double flange, through so that there is a flange on the inside of tank and a flange on outside.

Slim

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

04-22-05, 08:34 PM   #4  
Don't try to pull the grommet in by the tube. Use a small flathead screwdriver and push and poke the lower flange of the grommet until you get it worked into the hole in the tank. Be careful not to damage it.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Visiting Guest

04-23-05, 06:57 AM   #5  
slim
Thanks Cheese. I have been trying that, but the grommet seat is recessed and the outside flange of the grommet is so large it completely hides the inner flange. Maybe if I hold my mouth just right it will pop in on one of these trys. I appreciate the advice.

Slim

Search this Thread