Makita 4100 Generator engine surge

Old 04-21-05, 08:47 PM
Guamaniac
Visiting Guest
Makita 4100 Generator engine surge

I have a Makita Generator with low hours. The engine Model is "Robin" Model EH 25 family # is sfj251ug2ra.
When operating at full power the engine has a quick surge with the auto Idle switch off or on . With no load and the auto Idle switch on, the governor slams to idle. The engine almost stops and then slams full throttle. It will cycle like this and not achieve a smooth idle. I have cleaned the carb and lubed the linkage. all seem to work smoothly. any suggestions??

Sponsored Links
Old 04-22-05, 04:27 AM
Azis
Visiting Guest
Just a couple quick items come to mind without doin some research...
Oil level or pressure switch..? If yours has one and most likely does, as well as ne other cutout switch it may have.

This may not apply, but if your govenor, throttle linkage has a magnetic coil involved, clean the threads or where it contacts ground on the bracket. Sometimes just threading back and forth will do it.

I have had units do just what u describe and about half of them I get going without knowing what I fixed

GL, maybe someone else has more better info

P.S. Just thought about you might wanna verify if it is fuel or ignition problem. Get it started with the air cleaner off, and be ready with a few drops of fuel to put in the carb when it dies...if it comes back then you have a fuel problem, if it still dies then prolly ignition.

Old 04-22-05, 09:12 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
You have described classic symptoms of a too lean air-fuel mixture. Try closing the choke partially to see if it evens out. If so, you still have a fuel delivery problem.