Craftsman tiller help

Old 04-23-05, 12:36 PM
Blkbird
Visiting Guest
Craftsman tiller help

OK I've become a eBay junkie. ..but that's another story my wife has to deal with that.....just bought a practically new rear tine tiller-Craftsman model 917.293970.Now here is the hick.....the tiller turns fine but the wheels won't engage/propel what could be the problem.and how complex is the trannie to deal with/open up on this bugger.V-belt is fine. Also which would be the best side to open the trannie from.
tia

Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-05, 01:39 PM
SOUNDS LIKE YOUR CHAIN INSIDE JUMPED OF... THE ONLY THING IS TO SEPERATE THE TRANY IN HALF SLOWLY AND PAY CLOSE ATTENION WHERE IT GOES BACK TOGETHER... ITS NOT ALL THAT BAD JUST REALY TIME CONSUMING...

Old 04-23-05, 10:14 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hello Blkbird!

Check the wheels. There should be pins that hold the wheel fast to the shaft. If they are removed, the wheels won't turn with the tranny.

Otherwise, the chain may well be broken. It's a very time consuming job as noted. Not fun at all.

Old 04-24-05, 03:34 AM
Blkbird
Visiting Guest
The pins are on & they are good Looks like I'm gonna have to crack this sucker open

Old 04-24-05, 05:10 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I am not envious, lol. Good luck and keep us posted.

Old 04-24-05, 11:22 PM
First, with the belt cover removed, check to be sure the input shaft of the tranny is turning with the belt engaged. In other words, is the key possibly sheared?