How do I replace Dust Boots on Snapper Rider ?

Old 04-24-05, 03:51 AM
How do I replace Dust Boots on Snapper Rider ?

I need to replace the rear axle dust boots on my snapper RER. Has anyone done this before, or know how to go about it ?

t

Sponsored Links
Old 04-24-05, 05:05 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hello tpiersol!

That's a very common job around my shop. Seems like there are always a couple snappers in line for some axle boots.

I stand the mower on end, (remove battery if elec. start....and tighten vent screw in fuel tank to keep fuel from spilling out or just remove the tank). I remove the left rear wheel (left when sitting on the mower). There is a hub that the wheel bolts to. It has a tapered bolt through it holding it to the axle. Remove the bolt and hope the hub comes off. I sometimes have to use an impact chisel to drive the hub off the axle. I've had to cut some of them off too. Then remove all bolts and nuts that hold the left fender onto the side of the mower. A hose clamp holds the boot to the fender on the inside. Remove the boot and take the shifter linkage off of the chain case with the rubber disk on it. Slide the drive chain case off the axle. That gets you access to the other boot. Replace boots, and reassemble. Fill the chain case and transmission with "00" grease (double ought grease) to the proper level. The axle goes through either a bearing or a bushing in the left fender. If worn, this is the time to replace it.

Old 04-25-05, 03:14 PM
Cheese .... thanks, sounds like a weekend project for me.

Old 04-25-05, 08:49 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Let us know if you run into trouble. It usually takes me 30 to 45 minutes to do the job, but I use air tools and do this so often that it's mindless work to me. Might take you a couple of hours with hand tools, more if the hub won't come off the axle.