MTD Yard machine problem

Old 04-25-05, 02:29 PM
mrgreenstuff
Visiting Guest
MTD Yard machine problem

I have mtd yard machine w/a 20hp/46 deck,Briggs engine. Starts fine in choke position, push choke in it runs then wants to cut off. pull choke out again runs fine , push choke back in, runs then wants to cut off again.....help please!!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-25-05, 09:01 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hello mrgreenstuff!

Your carburetor needs to be cleaned. You can probably just remove the bowl and clean it out and blow carb cleaner through the passages and be ok.

Old 06-25-08, 06:23 PM
I have the exact same problem.

Hi Cheese,

You refered to removing the bowl. What part of the engine is the bowl. Is it the lower rectangle cover below the carburetor, on the front of the engine? Should I purchase a gasket or do they come off competely intact.

Old 06-25-08, 07:19 PM
. . .needs to be cleaned

It's running too lean, for sure.

I guess you could first try adjusting the hi/lo speed carb needle valves if you have them, but make a drawing of their current position.

There are probably small engine troubleshooting charts on the Internet, somewhere.

Old 06-26-08, 09:23 AM
forgot

Check for a clogged fuel filter.

Old 06-27-08, 12:27 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The bowl is generally the cup underneath the carburetor. I don't know what brand or model# engine you have though, to be more accurate.

Old 07-07-08, 06:13 AM
Model and Type

I thank everyone for your responses. The model # is 461707, the type is 0143E1 and the code is 0103145A. The mower is still running only with the choke all the way out. I'm off next week and I'm going to tear into it then. I would like to have gaskets and any kits I might need. Any suggestions where to start would be help full. Again thanks to everyone.

Old 07-07-08, 08:46 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Unless you tear up the gasket at the top of the carb when you open it up, you probably won't need any.