honda 6.5 low idle stall

Old 04-26-05, 06:38 AM
honda 6.5 low idle stall

I have a honda hrx217 with a 6.5 hp engine. It is only 4 months old, and starting yesterday, it would stall when the throttle was in the idle position. It will only run in the full throttle position, and it surges slightly. Any suggestions?

Last edited by razcob; 04-26-05 at 09:01 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-26-05, 11:22 AM
You definitely have a restriction in the carburetor. Not being well familiar with this engine, wait for cheese to post in later tonight or early tomorrow for his suggestions. It may simply be a serviceable jet you need to clean out. How old is the fuel you're running? If it is 3 months or older it may be this as it will lose its volatility.

Old 04-26-05, 08:31 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I agree. You can drop the bowl and clean it out. Sometimes a little water or debris in the bowl is all it takes. If this is a newer tamper-proof carb, you won't be able to adjust it, so it has to be very clean to perform as it should. For some reason, the newer honda carbs are often set to the lean side. Maybe the altitude or something is different in Japan, but here, they tend to run on the edge of being too lean. Especially in cold weather.

I also agree about the fuel.

Old 04-27-05, 07:04 AM
Azis
Visiting Guest
There should be a mixture adjustment, however u will only have 1/8 turn of adjustment. Make sure it is turned out CCW.
Also the idle stop setting and the govenor setting on these can cause the same sypmtoms. Usually only a slight adjustment will have it back on track.

If u dont have one u can download a manual here http://www.hondapowerequipment.com/O...n/31VH7H10.PDF
Some of Honda's OM's include the procedure for adjusting the carb and govnor.

Old 04-27-05, 08:19 AM
I think I found the problem. I disassembled and cleaned the carb. I started it again and had the same problem. I pulled the plug and found the plug ceramic was cracked and missing a piece, and the top was bent. I will install a new plug soon. Another question? I unscrewed the main jet and another 1 inch piece with holes fell out, and I am not sure which way it goes back? Thanks for the help.

Old 04-27-05, 09:39 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
That would be the main nozzle. I can't remember, but I think it goes in either way. Does it look the same at both ends?