Husquvarna saw -can't pull starter

Old 04-26-05, 07:46 AM
earth79
Visiting Guest
Husquvarna saw -can't pull starter

Hi, I recently bought a used Husky saw. It appears to be in good shape, not heavily used but when I try to pull the start cord it rotates 2-3 times then kind of kicks. It's really hard to pull, I've owned Husky's before and know what to expect but this one seems to have a valve or electrical problem. If I pull the plug out it turns smoothly. It's a model 66 if memory serves --I'm at work and can't check.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-26-05, 11:19 AM
Possibly excessive fuel/oil mix in the crankcase due to a carburetor in need of a rebuild. Forget the valve issue, this is a two stroker and doesn't have any. Pull the spark plug, turn the kill switch off, pull the starter several times quickly and consecutively and see if you have a mist of fuel spewing from the plug hole. This would indicate a fuel dumpage problem related to the carb.

Old 04-26-05, 08:34 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
In addition to what Puey61 said, I believe the 66 may have a compression release button on the side of the cylinder. Look for a blue button on the right side of the cylinder. This makes a lot of difference. The 66 has a bigger engine than many saws and takes a manly pull to get going if it doesn't have compression release.

Old 04-28-05, 05:19 AM
elmoses
Visiting Guest
Also check your spark to make sure you are getting one. If you are then try this. take the same oil that you mix with the gas and put some in the cylinder through the spark plug hole. I worked on 2 stroke weedeaters and we use to do this at the plant to get them started right off the line. I wouldn't put more than 1/4 of your cylinder full of it. Be aware that there will be a lot of white smoke when you get it started just keep it running.