white smoke and oil coming from muffler

Old 04-27-05, 11:53 AM
threefirstnames
Visiting Guest
white smoke and oil coming from muffler

i have a craftsman 4.5hp mower. i'm a fairly new mower-owner (ok, i'm a mower-idiot) and i didn't do anything to winterize it this past winter. when i went to start it up this spring, it wouldn't start. i figured it was stale gas, so i tipped the mower to drain the gas that was in the tank while it still had a ton of oil in it (i'm a really big mower-idiot).

with fresh gas i've been able to get it to start, but white smoke is blowing in spurts from the muffler and black oil is dripping/spitting from it. i'm sure when i tipped the mower, oil drained somewhere it wasn't supposed to. i'm just wondering now if there's some way that i can clean it as much as possible to prevent anymore oil burning off. and i want to make sure i won't damage the mower by running it. any help would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-27-05, 12:22 PM
CHECK YOUR OIL LEVEL AND TOP OFF IF NEEDED.... START IT UP AND TIE THE SAFETY BAIL AND JUST LET IT RUN.... SMOKE WILL CLEAR AFTER A LITTLE WHILE..IT WONT HURT THE MOWER...WHEN STOPS SMOKING SHUT OFF CHANGE PLUG AND CLEA N OFF THE DECK.... ALWAYS TIPP CARB SIDE UP....

Old 04-27-05, 09:27 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Also you may need to clean or change the air filter if it got soaked with oil.

Old 04-27-05, 11:23 PM
At my shop, I tell my techs to tip the exhaust side up. This has been debated many times but I always win when I explain that the breather chamber is on the muffler side in 90 percent of walk-behind mowers. Now lets say you tip the carb side up. The breather will most definitely fill up - due to it being on the down-side now. As we all know, the drain holes in the breather are very small and when the mower is set back down the holes cannot drain the oil off quick enough. So where does the oil tend to go? Through the breather tube - directly into the air filter and then into the carburetor! Not only for this reason but all oil drain plug will be at the bottom of the crankcase when the mower is tipped muffler side up thereby making it easy to drain the sump fully. I also recommend tipping up at no more than a 45 degree angle. Should you have an engine that is situated with the spark plug either to the left or right (as standing behind the mower) then you should tip spark plug side up. Now, however, you will have to remove the drain plug and then drop the mower down to drain out the oil as the plug hole is no longer at the bottom.