temperamental 6.25 hp craftsman mower

Old 04-27-05, 08:12 PM
temperamental 6.25 hp craftsman mower

Ok, another mower-idiot behind the handles. My craftsman 6.25 hp is roughly 7 y/o. I was very good about the minimum annual maintenance until two years ago. My oil is low, so I filled it, SAE 30 per the manual. Now, it just won’t run more than a few minutes, but doesn’t abruptly stall, just dies down and won’t restart right away. Also very hard to start up. (She’s always been temperamental in that regards). There appears to be some oil leaking from where I put it in. I replace the blade each year out of necessity and know what it feels like when this is bent. LOTS of huge and small rocks etc. My problem now seems very different. Could this be as easy as catching up on my annual maintenance, or do I require an overhaul? Maybe the carb? Btw, I am not a savvy engine person so plain English would be appreciated, and thank you so much for any help (or criticism).

(After three days I am half way done with a job that usually takes only 1-2 hours.) -tina

Sponsored Links
Old 04-27-05, 09:16 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hello Tina!

It sounds to me like you have one of two problems. I think either the fuel line is collapsing, not letting enough fuel flow through to the carburetor, or the gas cap vent is clogged. Try loosening the gas cap when it begins to die. If it returns to normal, then you need a new cap.

Old 04-28-05, 12:15 PM
YOU ALSO STATED ABOUT THE BENT BLADES ON OCCASION... YOU MAY ALSO HAVE A SLIGHTLY SHEERED FLYWHEEL KEY AND THE OIL LEAK WOULD MOST LIKELY BE A O RING AND A LOOSE OIL FILL TUBE.....

Old 04-28-05, 02:39 PM
stuck plug

oil fill tube...you know I don't see that word anywhere in my manual (yeah I actually am reading it), is that...daahhh...the tube between where I put the oil and where it travels to? the only thing visible to the naked eye.

I am having a hell of a time removing my spark plug. As i mentioned i have neglected my tune ups for the last two years, in which time I gained and lost a SO, and a LOT of my tools. Is there not a specific tool that removes these? I vaguely remember having one, but can't find it in my empty box . If so, will anything else work? I have the "standard" ones.

I'll be changing the blade tomorrow and will pay extra attention to the key. Thank you soooo much for the support.

Old 04-28-05, 07:22 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The spark plug should come out with a 3/4" or 13/16" deep socket.

The flywheel key is not visible from under the mower where the blade is. The top of the engine will have to be removed, and the flywheel nut removed to view the key.