JD 265 backfire

I will try to keep it short and to the point:

Last Weekend: Getting ready for season.
1) Changed sparkplug.
2) added new gas
3) changed blades

Last Night: First time cutting
1) Started up just fine
2) Seemed to run ok(maybe a little "puttering" sound)
3) After cutting lower the throttle for a 1 or 2(as instructed in maunal). Right at the end, I was alittle bored and engaged the cutters.
4) tractor would not start again and backfired numerous times out of the exhaust.(Lower right hand side of engine).

Any help would be extremely appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-28-05, 07:50 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hello holtzlou!

What engine? 17hp kawasaki, right? Change the spark plug, make sure the oil level is full (low oil sentry can cause some intermittent problems at times). If it still backfires, I would just about bet you have a bad igniter. It's not cheap, so check everything thoroughly. If you don't have a kawasaki on it anymore, post the engine make and model.

Old 04-29-05, 03:16 AM
holtzlou
Visiting Guest
Cheese, that's for the quick reply. Thinking back I don't think that I checked the gap on the plug. Also, I am due to change the oil in about another 5 hrs. Does this seem to fit more into your suggestion(i.e. user error) then the bad ignitor?

thanks again.

Old 04-29-05, 05:07 AM
Azis
Visiting Guest
If it is backfiring I would bet against the igniter at this point. Any I have found bad will not produce any spark at all. They are tempermental about spark plugs.
I dont recall an oil sentry at least on the older ones and the deere site is down, so I can't get to a manual. There is or may be a fuel solenoid on the bottom of the carb bowl that could be suspect. Put a few drops of fuel in the throat of the carb and see if it will fire.
While there is no test for the igniter itself, there are tests to verify the rest of the system. Last one I purchased was 65 dollars from JD.
Low compresion from valve adjustment can also cause similar problems. I had one that would only run on nice sunny cool days until doing the valves. You could try putting a bit of oil in the cylinder, this would help increase the compresion if the problem is due to rings. Valve clearance would need to be checked to verify if not the rings, (more likely the valves)

3) After cutting lower the throttle for a 1 or 2(as instructed in maunal). Right at the end, I was alittle bored and engaged the cutters.
Not sure I understand what you meant by this....? but makes me think possibly shear key...???

Old 04-29-05, 10:48 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Most bad igniters I've seen would spark. Just at the wrong time. I keep a test igniter because when I get a kawasaki that backfires before it starts, or does nothing but backfire, I change the plug. If it still does it, I put my test igniter on it and I'd say 95% of the time, that's the problem.

I wouldn't just check the gap on the plug, I'd change it with a new one. Like Azis said, they are tempermental about spark plugs.

Old 04-30-05, 01:18 AM
Group Moderator
Those pesky spark plugs... A long time ago I had a LX188 that had the two cylinder, liquid cooled Kawasaki engine. One spark plug died, so I replaced it and within a couple hours the other spark plug died, then after a couple hours the first plug died again. Finally I replaced both spark plugs at the same time and they worked fine to the day I sold it.

Old 05-02-05, 03:13 AM
holtzlou
Visiting Guest
Thanks to everyone that offered advise. I replaced the plug, clean the air filter and checked the oil again. It started up fine, let it run for a few minutes and shut it down. Tried to start it again and had no plroblem. tried it the next morning and also had no problem, however it does seem to hesitate some at full throttle. Any suggestions for this.

thanks again.

Old 05-02-05, 07:38 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hesitate at full throttle? How do you mean? Meaning it hesitates when you go from low to high, or hesitates when you apply a load?

Old 05-03-05, 07:07 AM
holtzlou
Visiting Guest
Cheese, it hestitates when I go from low to high and then leave it there. Seems almost like it is not getting enough gas. When I bring it back to about 75% it seems to run fine.

Thanks for all your help.

Old 05-03-05, 09:09 AM
Azis
Visiting Guest
Try adding a bit of choke at full throttle, if it will smooth out then you have a fuel restriction or intake leak, most likely restriction in the fuel system or carb.

Not sure if you have a high speed mixture adjustment or not. If so 1/8 to 1/4 turn out could get it too.

Float level in the carb could also cause this, not as likely unless work has been done on it.

Old 05-04-05, 12:37 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Agreed.

Also a dirty or oil-soaked air filter can cause this.

Closed Thread