Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

MTD Yard Machine grass catcher problem

04-28-05, 12:54 PM   #1  
MTD Yard Machine grass catcher problem

I have a MTD Yard Machine, 14.5hp B&S engine, 42" deck, with grass catcher attached...my problem is that the discharge chute plugs up. I have to disconnect it from the chute tube and clean it out constantly...needless to say, it takes twice the time to do the lawn. I have replaced the discharge chute...but my blades are dull. Could they be causing the problem?

Thanks for any suggestions, S

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

04-28-05, 07:24 PM   #2  
Hello stvnsue!

Sounds to me like the lift on the backsides of the blades has worn off. This is what blows the grass up the chute.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

04-29-05, 02:35 AM   #3  
Thanks for the quick reply...I wondered if that was the cause, although I didn't know about the "lift" effect. Any suggestions for easy blade removal and replacement? S

Visiting Guest

04-29-05, 04:27 AM   #4  
Azis
Jack or lift the mower so you can access the blades. Use gloves to hold or a block of wood to prevent the blade from turning, remove the bolt and the blade from the star shaped key, install in reverse.

P.S. When buying new blades make sure you have your model and serial # for the mower. There are variations of blades and you will want the correct one to work with your model and accesories.

04-29-05, 11:57 AM   #5  
That sounds simple enough...but should I worry about "torque" for the hex flange nut? (Obviously I've been reading the owner's manual...and I'm wondering what the hex it's talking about!) Thanks for the quick reply, S

Visiting Guest

04-29-05, 12:06 PM   #6  
Azis
Not sure what the spec is but if you have it and a torque wrench, then by all means use both.
Other wise don't be afraid to "Over tighten" it using the "proper" hand tools.

05-10-05, 07:25 AM   #7  
New is better...

Thank you so much for the help...I got my new blades on and WOW! what a difference. I was amazed at how short the old blades were, but can't complain...did get my money's worth out of them. My thanks again. S

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-11-05, 12:43 AM   #8  
Glad you got it! Thanks for keeping us updated!

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread