Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Mower Transmission Problem

Visiting Guest

04-28-05, 04:24 PM   #1  
marcum03
Mower Transmission Problem

I have a 8HP, 32 inch Dynamark Mower with a Briggs & Stratton motor. Labeled on the mower is gear drive & it has 3 speeds & reverse ("H" style). Reverse is to the top left, 1st is to top right, 2nd is to bottom left, 3rd is to bottom right, neutral is in the middle. I don't have any info on the brand of transmission but to shift gears, the clutch has to be pressed half way down.

The problem is that reverse does not work & today the forward gears quit working. No breaking or grinding sounds. I was cutting grass, stopped & went to neutral with the engine running & when I again went to 1st, or 2nd, or 3rd gears, the wheels don't turn.

The transmission belt is in-tact & turning the transmission pulley, but the output gear & chain to the wheels will not turn.

Could it be low on grease, or if it needs rebuilt, are the rebuild kits very expensive (approximately how much could I expect to pay for the kit).

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

04-28-05, 07:18 PM   #2  
Hello marcum03!

Sounds like internal damage in the tranny. Check to be sure the input shaft is actually turning (the pulley key isn't broken). If so, you'll have to open it up to see what happened. It could just be a sanp ring that broke and let the pinion gear fall off the input shaft. Could be a lot of things. Sounds like a foote or tecumseh/peerless tranny. The name should be on it somewhere.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Visiting Guest

04-29-05, 04:21 PM   #3  
marcum03
After tearing into it, I see what has happened. The chain broke. Your guess was right, it is a Foote (model 2010). gears 1, 2 & 3 use gear to gear but reverse uses a chain from cog to cog. I found it was full of water so the chain may have become weak by rusting. Anyway, I didn't see any other signs of wear or broken parts.

1) how do I prevent water from getting in there again.
2) where do I buy a replacment chain?
3) what type of grease do I put back in there & how do I know when I have enough grease in it.
4) what advise can you give me or tips that will keep me from making mistakes repairing it to avoid this from breaking again.

Terry

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

04-29-05, 10:17 PM   #4  
Take the chain to a bearing and drive shop. Most will have drive chain. They can match it up for you and build you another chain. If the mower stays outdoors, it will probably continue to get water in it. If it was just moisture (not full of water) then it may have just been condensation. You won't be able to prevent that. Use 00 grease (double ought grease) to fill it. The bearing shop or a small engine shop should carry it. Fill it somewhere around 1/3 full.

As far as tips, just watch carefully how everything came apart so you can get it back together properly, and look for wear in the gears, sprockets, and bushings. Replace what is necessary if you can find the parts.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread