Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

won't start, flywheel won't turn

Visiting Guest

04-29-05, 03:11 PM   #1  
jrv
won't start, flywheel won't turn

I have a B&S, 19.5 hp, mod 461707. engine was running ok and all of a sudden it made a clunk type noise and white smoke came out of rotating screen and then it stopped. oil level was fine. I can turn the flywheel about 1 and 1/2 revolutions either way with a wrench on the flywheel nut but then it stops.
looking for some input as to what i might be getting myself into before i start to open it up and what i should be looking for?
thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

04-29-05, 09:55 PM   #2  
Make sure the flywheel isn't missing any teeth.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

04-29-05, 10:07 PM   #3  
Hello jrv!

I don't think I'd worry too much about the flywheel, but possibly the coil instead. It sounds like it could possibly have come loose and got jammed with the flywheel. Removal of the engine shroud will tell. If not, I would suspect the engine may have broken a rod, or overheated and galled the piston/cylinder.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Visiting Guest

04-30-05, 07:22 AM   #4  
jrv
found a nickle size hole in the upper front left side of the cylinder assembly. is it worth trying to rebuild?

PA

04-30-05, 11:00 AM   #5  
You Can Short Block It Or Just Get A New Engine... Its All In What You Want To Spend And How Old The Mower Is.... Goto B&s Site And Get Some Prices...

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

04-30-05, 07:16 PM   #6  
Shucks, broke a rod. No chance for a rebuild when the block is busted like that.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread