Portable generator

Old 04-30-05, 08:58 AM
Portable generator

I have a 5KW Dayton generator with a B&S engine. I need to put a set of rings in the engine. The trouble I'm having, is finding a way the get the generator's rotor off the end on the crankshaft. There was a 5/16" X 6 5/8" bolt thru the rotor's shaft, which I removed but the rotor still won't come off. There is absolutely nothing to prize on. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-30-05, 07:23 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The engine shaft is tapered like the flywheel end of the shaft. I have somehow managed to avoid ever having to remove one, so I have no advice unfortunately. I imagine a good shock impact might make it come loose, but how to do this is another question. Let us know what method you find to do this, and maybe someone else will have an idea for you in the meantime.

Old 05-01-05, 02:16 AM
I Know On The The Craftsman/generac I Had Loose Bolt 1/4 Way Out And Use A Brass Mallet And Racked The Extension Once Or Twice To Free Them.... The Bol In Keeps The Socket In-line Wih Shaft... Not Sur About Th One You Got Though..

Old 05-01-05, 02:10 PM
Removing rotor

Have removed two from Honda engines with tapered shafts. The first one I used a piece of all thread approx 1 inch longer than thru bolt and beat the !!!!! out of it. finally came loose.Be sure to thread rod all the way into the crank so that you don't mess up the threads. Engine #2 tried the same didn't work. I finally drove the rotor out of the casing then used a air chisel to bang on the end of the all thread.Stuck point of chisel thru my finger!,still it didn't budge. Broke bearing trying to beat on that! While tapping on inner race of bearing to remove it from shaft taper came loose.Also tried heat somewhere along adventure.Guys at generator dealer say it's a pain.MY suggestion:Tap end of rotor 3/8-24 (fine thread) then put a piece of 1/4" rod in thats just long enough so that when you screw 3/8 bolt in it pushes on end of crankshaft.Maybe take it to a machine shop for that.

Old 05-08-05, 03:05 PM
Portable Generator

Cheese,
I finally found two fellows that gave me the same suggestion: that is, take a small piece of wood (I used a 1 x 4 turned sideways) and hit the shaft (beyond the slip rings) with a pretty good lick from a ball peen hammer, then turn the shaft 180 degrees and hit it again. Then rotate the shaft 90 degrees and follow the same procedure. Have someone hold onto the rotor, for it will just jump off. The attachment between the rotor and the crankshaft was a tapered shaft, no key. This may not work on all generators but it worked good on this Dayton generrator.

Old 05-08-05, 10:25 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Great! Thanks for letting us know! So you had to remove the back section of the generator housing I guess. Glad you got it.