Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

B&S vertical 18hp won't rotate

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

04-30-05, 09:11 AM   #1  
B&S vertical 18hp won't rotate

When I try to start it, it appears to have issues rotating. I gets about one full revolution, and it hesitates or stops. Battery is new. I believe I can also hear metal grinding, but this could be anything.

Someone told me it could be the coil, but that doesn't make any sense. What could the problem(s) be? Any diagnosis?

Sponsored Links

PA

04-30-05, 10:56 AM   #2  
The Coil Rides Bside The Flywheel.... Take Off Blower Housing To Ensure Its Not Dragging... Twist Flywheel Back And Forth If You Hear A Loud Clanking Noise The You Most Likely Have A Broken Rod....

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

04-30-05, 07:17 PM   #3  
If this is an overhead valve engine, you probably need to adjust the valves.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

05-01-05, 09:58 AM   #4  
I believe it is a L-head twin cylinder engine (model 422707). Is there anything else I might check before I tear the engine apart?

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-01-05, 09:27 PM   #5  
Ok, on this engine, remove the starter and check the drive end bushing. Chances are it has a lot of slack and is letting the armature drive itself away from the flywheel and bind. A new bushing or end cap and a bit of grease on it and the bottom bushing will probably get things straightened out.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

05-04-05, 03:40 PM   #6  
Ok update!

Oddly enough the engine will rotate with the plugs out. It is getting compression and I can feel air so what is up with that? Also, I found I'm not getting any spark on either. Coil pack appears to be dead. Help!

NY

05-05-05, 03:28 AM   #7  
Eight screws will remove the blower shroud. Pull the ground wire (the single, smallest wire) off the ignition coil then check for spark. If spark, then you have a bad safety switch - likely the seat switch, if you have no spark then it's time to replace the coil.

Search this Thread