Enough HP?

Old 04-28-05, 12:51 PM
jordanstl
Visiting Guest
Question Enough HP?

I received a small rear engine Toro rider (much like this Picture ). The original engine broke a rod and is toast. So I have more then enough 5-6 hp push mower engines, but nothing more. My question is what the performance would be if I put on a 6 hp engine. Does 1 hp make a huge difference? Thanks.

Old 04-28-05, 07:28 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
I really don't know how a 6hp would do on it. What size deck does it have? If it's 25" or less, and your grass doesn't get too thick, it might do ok. I'm not very confident that the crankshaft sizes will be the same on the 2 engines though.

Old 04-28-05, 11:27 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Not only that but the walk-behind mower will have an aluminum flywheel. You will need a steel flywheel on the rider since there is no blade connected directly to the crank to double as a flywheel (for the weight) and the two cranks are likely not the same whereas you can mount the steel flywheel to the walk-behind's engine.

Old 04-29-05, 10:51 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
Ahh yes, that's right . I'm not in the practice of using walk behind mower engines for anything other than just that. You may be able to find a steel flywheel on a pressure washer engine or something similar, but it seems like a lot of trouble to go through.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: