Question on older 8hp Sears riding Mower

Old 04-30-05, 03:35 PM
jrklein55
Visiting Guest
Question on older 8hp Sears riding Mower

Hi, Just bought an older 8hp mower made into a go cart type for my son. We bought a new battery & spark plug and it started and ran the first day but now it doesn't want to start. We were told it needed a new starter solenoid. Tried replacing that now it won't start at all. Any suggestions. THANKS Jack

Sponsored Links
Old 04-30-05, 07:13 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Does it just not start, or does it not even spin? If it doesn't even turn over, then you'll need a test light and check for power at the solenoid terminal where the small wire attatches at the bottom when you turn the key to start. If no power, check the fuses and the solenoid connections. Make sure the small red wire on the large solenoid lug is on the same lug as the battery cable.

Old 05-01-05, 02:05 AM
jrklein55
Visiting Guest
Thanks

Hi, It seems as though the engine turns but wont kick over. any other suggestions?
Thank you

Old 05-01-05, 02:20 AM
JACK,, Did You Remove AnY Safety Interlock Swithes Or WireS From THEM.... (the Clutch And/or Seat Switches May Be Bad... Are You Getting Spark..????

Old 05-01-05, 04:02 AM
jrklein55
Visiting Guest
responce

i do get a spark, but i dont understand the first two sentences. thank you

Old 05-01-05, 09:30 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Try squirting a bit of gas into the spark plug hole, then try to start it. If it runs for a second or two and then dies, you have fuel problems, probably in the carb.