Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Question on older 8hp Sears riding Mower

Visiting Guest

04-30-05, 03:35 PM   #1  
jrklein55
Question on older 8hp Sears riding Mower

Hi, Just bought an older 8hp mower made into a go cart type for my son. We bought a new battery & spark plug and it started and ran the first day but now it doesn't want to start. We were told it needed a new starter solenoid. Tried replacing that now it won't start at all. Any suggestions. THANKS Jack

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

04-30-05, 07:13 PM   #2  
Does it just not start, or does it not even spin? If it doesn't even turn over, then you'll need a test light and check for power at the solenoid terminal where the small wire attatches at the bottom when you turn the key to start. If no power, check the fuses and the solenoid connections. Make sure the small red wire on the large solenoid lug is on the same lug as the battery cable.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Visiting Guest

05-01-05, 02:05 AM   #3  
jrklein55
Thanks

Hi, It seems as though the engine turns but wont kick over. any other suggestions?
Thank you

PA

05-01-05, 02:20 AM   #4  
JACK,, Did You Remove AnY Safety Interlock Swithes Or WireS From THEM.... (the Clutch And/or Seat Switches May Be Bad... Are You Getting Spark..????

Visiting Guest

05-01-05, 04:02 AM   #5  
jrklein55
responce

i do get a spark, but i dont understand the first two sentences. thank you

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-01-05, 09:30 PM   #6  
Try squirting a bit of gas into the spark plug hole, then try to start it. If it runs for a second or two and then dies, you have fuel problems, probably in the carb.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread