Yard Machine MTD 3.5hp throttle problem

Old 05-01-05, 04:27 AM
ToddMR
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Yard Machine MTD 3.5hp throttle problem

I have a 2 year old Yard Machine MTD 3.5hp mower that keeps throtteling slow and fast the entire time it is running. I went out a couple days ago and bought a new spark plug, air filter, and made sure my oil was at a good level. After replacing the spark plug it sounded like it was running good. I had such little gas though that I could not easily tell as the mower didn't run very long. So today I went out and bought some gas and filled it up. Well the problem is back. If I hold the throttle at full with my finger it runs faster but you can hear the speed isn't constant. I am just clueless on what to check next. My dad suggested the governor, but I am not sure. Anyone have anything to try? Thanks in advance for your help.

Todd

Sponsored Links
Old 05-01-05, 03:08 PM
TRY REMOVING THE FUEL BOWL AND AND SPRAY CARB CLEANER WIH THE LITTLE TUBE UP INTO THE CARB FROM BOTTOM... MAY HAVE GOTTEN A LITTLE WATER AND DIRT WHICH WILL CAUSE IT TO SURGE BACK AND FORTH

Old 05-01-05, 09:16 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hello Todd!

I believe you'll need to remove the carburetor from the fuel tank and replace the diaphragm between them to solve the surging problem.

Old 05-01-05, 11:28 PM
Pay close attention the the pick-up tube for any grass debris. BTW, the part number for the diaphragm kit is 495770.