Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Rally Transmission Problem

Visiting Guest

05-01-05, 06:15 AM   #1  
marcum03
Rally Transmission Problem

I have a Rally Mower (Model LO815AR) that runs fine with drive belt intact but will not go foward or reverse.

I did verify:
1) That the input shaft pulley does turn (I did not remove to see if it had a sheared keyway).
2) The shifter freely shifts into all gears but no or engaging sounds or grawling occurs while shifting through the gears.
3) The breaks do not at all work. I did manually move the lever forward & backward competely.

The only number the I can retrieve is the model number LO815AR. What brand of transmission does this have (the shifter handle is in the middle floor section)?
a) The shifting pattern from neutrual to reverse is back & to the right.
b) The shifting pattern from neutral to 1st, then 2nd, then 3rd .... is forward & to the left (in a curved pattern).

Terry

Sponsored Links

PA

05-01-05, 02:50 PM   #2  
JUST FOR GIGGLES YOU HAVNT TAKEN ONE OF THE REAR TIRES OFF HAVE YOU... IF SO YOU LOST THE AXLE KEY.. THIS WILL CAUSE THIS OR THE KEY IS SHEARED...RALLY WAS MADE BY MURRAY AND AMERICAN YARD PRODUCTS... YOURS SOUNDS LIKE A AYP BY THE SHIFTING DESCRIPT... ITS LIKE A CRAFTSMAN.. TRANS SHLD BE A PEERLESS.... .... YOU CAN GET INFO ON THIS SITE..

www.landscapepower.com/rally.html

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-01-05, 09:20 PM   #3  
Yep, check the axle keys to be sure one isn't missing. It's either a peerless or spicer tranny. Both are very similar.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Visiting Guest

05-04-05, 06:19 PM   #4  
marcum03
bambiblaster was correct, the keyway was missing from the rear wheel. I corrected this but the transmission break still doesn't work.

I checked the linkage rod & it is connected completely & does fully active but no breaking occurs at all while driving forward or reverse (I cut my entire yard without breaks & all the gears work fine).

Where do I start to fix the problem?

Terry

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-04-05, 11:32 PM   #5  
Look at the brake lever on the side of the tranny. There should be a 1/2" nut holding it to the side of the tranny. Tighten this a turn or two, try the brakes, and tighten again if necessary until you have brakes. If the nut gets tight, but you still have no brakes, you probably need to replace the brake pucks.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Visiting Guest

05-05-05, 04:18 AM   #6  
marcum03
Will I need to remove the transmission in order to get access to the nut?

Terry

Search this Thread