lawnboy dies out

Old 05-01-05, 10:36 AM
steve09
Visiting Guest
lawnboy dies out

any advice?

15 year-old lawnboy silver series self-propelled. starts grest, but after 1 to 2 minures of mowing, there's a metal clanging sound and then it dies and the starter cord won't pull (although the blade can be turned by hand). if i leave it for 15 minutes, it'll start right up and run for 1 to 2 minutes before it makes the metal clanging sound and dies again.

i tried to mow my yard 2 minutes at a time, with 15 minute breaks in between, but, after an hour or so, i've had too much beer to care how the lawn looks.

is there anything i can do, or is it mnew lawn mower time?

thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 05-01-05, 02:43 PM
Sounds Like The Rod Loosening Up... I Cant Remember How It Goes I Think Its Metal Shrinks When Hot And Expands When Cold...... Unless You Want To Takle A Rebuild Go Shopping

Old 05-01-05, 09:22 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Other way Bblaster, expands when hot. It does sound like the engine is siezing. If it's 2 stroke, are you sure you have oil mix fuel? If 4 stroke, it the engine full of oil?

Old 05-03-05, 12:03 AM
The best way to determine if you have internal engine damage is to remove the muffler and look into the cylinder for any scratches or scores as well as checking the piston as it move past the port for any wear.

Old 05-03-05, 05:39 PM
steve09
Visiting Guest
thanks for the responses.
2 stroke, and i'm pretty sure the gas/oil mixture is correct.
i'll take a look and see if i can see any damage.
no re-build for me, it's probably beyond my skill level.
i'll probably be shopping - another lawnboy, or is it time for something else?
thanks again.

Old 05-04-05, 03:26 AM
If you do go and kick tires on new equipment, whether or not you buy another Lawn-Boy is a matter of personal preference. Lawn-Boy still makes a good machine. Although you can still buy a two-stroke engine, I'm not sure why anyone would...Except maybe a professional landscaper.

Old 05-05-05, 05:42 PM
steve09
Visiting Guest
educate me, unfortunatly i know little about small engines. why not buy a 2-stroke?

Old 05-06-05, 03:30 AM
Two strokers are messy for the fact you have to mix oil with the gas for engine lubrication and they polute the air with oil smoke. Even if the newer machines have an injector whereas there is no mixing on your part they're still messy. They are more likely to fail, for if you mix the oil incorrectly the engine is toast or if the injector fails the engine fails. While four strokes aren't impervious to failure, they're much less likely to fail as they have a constant feed of lubricating oil by way of the engines' sump...provided you don't forget to check the oil level ocassionally. A four stroke has much greater torque, helpful in tall/thick grass. Just a few things to think about.

Old 05-06-05, 04:32 PM
steve09
Visiting Guest
makes sense. thanks for the education.

Search this Thread