Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Craftsman tractor starting problems

Visiting Guest

05-04-05, 10:35 AM   #1  
punjabi4evr
Craftsman tractor starting problems

Hello all, I have a three years old Craftsman 14 HP lawn tractor with a B&S engine. It was running fine until today when i was about to cut my grass. It started up and after a minute it shut off. I tried restarting it, the engine cranks but the tractor doesnt start. If I leave the tractor alone for about 15 minutes it will start again but only for a minute and then shut down. Last time I used the tractor it made a loud noise that sounded like a gunshot, which I thought was probably because of impure oil. But i changed the oil today and still wont start for more than a minute. What could be the problem?
Thanks for your help

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-04-05, 11:55 PM   #2  
The backfire was probably ignition related. Have you changed the spark plug? Also, check the plug wire. It may be loose, or might be against the exhaust and shorting out.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

05-06-05, 11:10 PM   #3  
backfire

Usually a sign of starving for fuel. Probably have some dirt in the main jet. Pour a shot of gas in the carb and then you'll know for sure.

S/T

Search this Thread