Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

John Deere STX 38 does not want to start

Visiting Guest

05-04-05, 04:36 PM   #1  
JDdisaster
John Deere STX 38 does not want to start

I own a John Deere stx 38 and it does not want to start. I suspect one of the safety features is malfunctioning. I turn the key and I hear a "click" from the starter, but it does not turn over. The battery is properly charged but what the problem is I do not know.

Sponsored Links
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

05-04-05, 06:15 PM   #2  
Clean your battery terminals. Make sure that your electrolyte level is good in your battery. Check your ground wiring. If nothing else, try jumping it from a charger or something.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-04-05, 11:39 PM   #3  
Hello JD,

I assume this has a kohler engine (what it came with). Is the solenoid mounted to the starter on this one? Some had a starter mounted solenoid, some had an independent solenoid mounted on the mower frame. Use a voltmeter, and check the voltage at the starter power cable when cranking. This is the wire going into the side of the starter. It may be a short wire not easily seen if the solenoid is mounted to the starter. If you are not getting power there, then the solenoid is probably bad (if that is what you hear clicking). Unless you're hearing a continuous clicking sound as you hold the key to start. This would indicate low voltage.

Try turning the engine by hand to make sure it's not jammed or siezed.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Visiting Guest

05-05-05, 05:20 PM   #4  
JDdisaster
Problem solved

It turns out that the safety switch underneath the seat is bad. I bypassed it and it started cranking just fine

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-08-05, 11:39 PM   #5  
Great! Thanks for letting us know how it went!

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread