Chainsaw gas tank cap

Old 05-06-05, 10:17 AM
wig
Visiting Guest
Chainsaw gas tank cap

Hello,

I overtightened my chainsaw petrol/gas tank cap and it split.

Stihl want to charge me $15.25 for a new one. I did a temporary repair of using the oil cap for the petrol chamber and I put a piece of plastic carrier bag held tight with a rubber/elastic band.

Have you got any suggestions where I can get a cheaper cap which will fit properly?

I am in UK but give me your suggestions anyway.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-06-05, 04:02 PM
Gas cap split?

Would a cap from another brand fit? The way they manufacture things now-a-days, a cap from some where else might fit. Do you have anything like super-glue? Drop a few drops in the split and force together with a rubber band streched around the cap. Don't know of any other quick fixes!
T.J,

Old 05-07-05, 05:14 PM
You are best off just bucking up for the cap, alot of the caps are vented...and need that vent..just plugging it with something else is asking for messes..

Old 05-10-05, 05:57 AM
wig
Visiting Guest
ok thanks chaps,

I have found a supplier on ebay who will do it for about $10 which is still too much for a small plastic cap! but if I don't find it cheaper I might have to go for that price.

Old 05-10-05, 06:51 AM
Azis
Visiting Guest
By the time u pay shipping and handling u may very well pay more for the Ebay cap.

Just FYI

Old 05-12-05, 05:53 AM
wig
Visiting Guest
Update:

I only use the chainsaw in France, so I wanted this before I go there in 4 weeks time. I decided to phone the Stihl dealer in France and ask him how much, he quoted me in Euros the equivalent of US$ 6.78 which is much better, still expensive for a small plastic cap but much less painful to have to bear.

Old 05-15-05, 06:27 PM
gas cap

I would just buy it from the stihl dealer and be done with it. Problem solved and fixed, don't have to think about it, don't have to worry about it. When you buy it make sure it comes with a new gasket. It's possible each part is sold individually. dave

Search this Thread