Dixon mower electrical problems

Old 05-06-05, 10:34 AM
Dixon mower electrical problems

First let me say thanks to all on this forum, you all have saved me from tons of frustration.

I posted a while back about a starting issue with my Dixon 6022 ZTR with a Kohler command pro 22 engine. Well it would start then die off... actually was running then died then would never restart form more than a second.

Turns out it was the fuel shutoff soelenoid (sp?) not getting power to open up when the key switch in the on position. Well, hot wired that and fixed it. Now the mower will run for about 20 minutes sometimes longer with no issues, then falls off and dies like a switch is being thrown also noticed that the battery is not being recharged... my question is this, can a fualty key switch be causing all my problems? I ordered one already so I am hoping so. What is the best way to check if a key switch is working?

On edit let me state that the key switch will start the engine and turn it off. But I do not get power from it to the fuel shutoff soelenoid, and now the battery doesn't seem to be charging either--I think the key switch could be the culprit but I am not sure how to prove/disprove without replacing it completely? Any other ideas or thoughts on what it could be? I have checked all the wires for loose connections and have found nothing.

thanks,

Joe

Last edited by Average Joe; 05-06-05 at 11:04 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-06-05, 04:55 PM
DURING START AND RUN.... THE KEY SWITCH DOES SEND 12V TO SOLIOID... I THINK KHOLER PUT THEM ON TO STOP BACKFIRE PROBLEMS... SOME MOWERS HAVE THE LITTLE BLACK BOX THAT CONTROLS THIS AND THE CHARGING SYSTEM... 1" X 1" SQUARE.. PART OF THE INTERLOCK SYSTEM.. CAN HAVE UP TO 3 OF THESE.... IF THAT HELPS ANY

Old 05-06-05, 11:06 PM
black box

under the hood--on the wiring harness--usually hanging if equipped, are up to three relays. Unplugging them will tell you if they are faulty because the contacts become burned when they are the culprit. These relays are common to many things and run about 4 bucks each. Any auto jobber will have them.

Old 05-08-05, 11:21 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I agree. I bet you have a problem with a relay. Sometimes the contacts to the wiring harness look fine, but if you pop open the relay, you can find rust, burnt contact points, broken wires, etc... inside that causes them to stop working.

Old 05-09-05, 06:54 AM
Thanks everyone! I will dig in and see what I can find! I will post follow up.

Old 05-09-05, 08:55 AM
Azis
Visiting Guest
Depending on how u "hot wired" the fuel solenoid, you may want to put it back and fix the 12v supply to it, or replace the solenoid with a like threaded bolt until other problems are trouble shot. If the solenoid is the only problem, using a bolt would confirm it, then look for problems as suggested above.

Old 05-09-05, 09:43 AM
Azis,

You are right I need to fix the root problem. The hot wire was just to get me cutting grass--unfortunately like I said my problems continue now in that it will cut fine for a while then die out, the battery isn't charging so that is why I was wondering about the key switch. I have a detailed manual on the mower minus the engine portion so I am assuming there is something wrong on the engine side of the wiring. Will dig into it further and use your bolt idea.

thanks,

Joe

Old 05-09-05, 09:53 AM
Azis
Visiting Guest
How are u determining that the battery is not charging? A volt meter on the battery while the engine is running is the best method. I don't think the key switch will affect the charging unless maybe some kind of short but with the wiring not the key switch.