chain saw won't start

Old 05-07-05, 03:34 PM
chain saw won't start

I have a 20 year old McCullough chainsaw that I used all last season without incident. I used it for the first time this season about 2 weeks ago. It initially wouldn't start because there was no gas in the tank, but once I filled the tank, the saw started within a reasonable # of pulls (considering it's an old saw). The fuel was from around October, and I believe the oil I mixed to the gasoline had a stabilizer added. I only used the saw for about a minute, but it worked fine.

I came back to the saw today. It "popped" once, then that was it. Not only would it not start with any of the following, it would not even "pop." I've tried the following:

First, I replaced the spark plug; then I tried choke set and gas on; I set the saw aside and came back 20 minutes later (thinking maybe I flooded the carb);next with choke open and no gas; again with choke set and gas; I sprayed starting fluid directly into the carb--still, the saw would not even "pop," let alone start. I'm stumped. Could it be some aspect of the ignition? Something else? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Guy

Sponsored Links
Old 05-08-05, 10:44 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hello Guy!

Have you determined whether or not you have spark? That would be the first step. Pull the plug out, connect it to the plug wire, and let it touch a metal part of the saw. Then pull the cord while watching the electrode on the plug. If it sparks, chances are that the ignition is ok and we can go further. If not, you have ignition problems.

Old 05-12-05, 04:54 PM
Hey Cheese,

I did as you suggested and I am getting a spark.

Guy

Old 05-13-05, 12:29 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Ok, then I would guess this thing is flooded. Try removing the plug and if you can access an air compressor, blow out the cylinder while rotating the engine. Then reinstall the plug and try it with the choke off first. If nothing, try it with choke on.

Old 05-29-05, 07:05 PM
Cheese,

Well, it's been about 3 weeks since my original post (busy with some other projects). My saw has been sitting quielty on a self during this time. I was just about to break out my air compressor to blow out the cylinder, but I thought I'd give the chain saw one more try. This time, I DID NOT set the choke, and I even avoided the throttle. By the second pull, the engine popped. In less than a minute (avoiding too much gas), I had the thing started. I guess the engine had been, indeed, flooded.

BTW, thanks for saving me at least $45: When I bought my new plug for my saw at a local small-machine repair shop, I changed the new plug right at the shop. When the saw would not start even with the new plug, I asked the owner what else could be the problem. He gave me some bull about my having used "old" gas (from last fall). He wanted to charge me AT LEAST $45 to take out the carb and clean out the old gas.

Regards,
Guy

Old 05-30-05, 09:27 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Probably the number one no start problem with seasonal engines - from chainsaws to motorcycles - is old gas which gums up the carb. If you are not adding gas stabilizer to your fuel, I would suggest doing so before the "bull" becomes a bear.

Old 05-30-05, 09:48 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Great! Glad we could help! I'm sure the mechanic probably wasn't trying to sell you a service he thought you didn't need. He was probably going by your description of the problem, and betting on the odds since most of the time on saws and equpiment that doesn't get used often, the carb is usually the culprit. Almost always. Not in this particular case though.

Thanks for the update!

Old 10-05-07, 05:21 PM
chainsaw

I have a McCulloch Eager Beaver 14" 2.0c.i.d.
Unable to locate ANY model number, however my question is why is it so tempermental ?
It has ALWAYS been hard to start and hard to keep running.It is DRAMATICALLY different between Cold start & Hot start (each requires a COMPLETELY different adjustment both to start and to run) The one thing that has been constant is that I can't seem to find any adjustment that is predictable. I've checked everything: cleaned air filter, removed air filter, replaced plug, checked gap, checked spark and flywheel, primed, choked, not primed, not choked, adjusted lean, adjusted rich, replaced fuel, left tank cap loose, replaced fuel line. I can almost always get it to fire, but will not always run. The few times that I have succeeded, (in the past 20 years) it needs to be constantly adjusted while in use (perhaps as it warms up ?) once I adjust it, then it WILL NOT start at those adjustments
HELP !

Old 10-05-07, 11:38 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Sounds like it could use a carb reconditioning and if it has points, there could be issues there as well. Another thing that causes differences in operation from hot engine to cold is crankcase leaks.

Old 04-08-09, 12:42 PM
my chainsaw will start for a few seconds and than die out i took it apart to see wut the problem might be i didnt find anything so i put it back together and than i notice that
my Prime bulb is not filling with gas. so i took it apart again and checked out the gas lines and both lines still connected to bulb, no obvious leak. i just bought a brand new spark plug for it and my air filter is clean and my chainsaw is only a year old wut do i do?

and isnt there suppose to be a gas line not connected to the bulb for air so the bulb will pop back out?

-big guy

Old 04-08-09, 08:19 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Sounds like you need to clean the carburetor. No, 2 lines should be connected to the primer.

Old 04-08-09, 08:52 PM
ok so 2 lines are attached to the bulb but 1 line is attached to the engine i think the carb? and 1 is not connected to the motor or anything its an air hose correct?