blower rope/recoil problem

Old 05-07-05, 04:37 PM
blower rope/recoil problem

I have a Weedeater brand Featherlight 1500 and ever since I bought it (3 years ago) I've had a problem with the rope being a little hard to pull at times and only recoiling sometimes. It wasn't too bad when I bought it and I know I should have brought it back then, but I didn't and it's just getting worse. I took it all apart because I thought there might be debris caught somewhere, but all looks fine. Of course I screwed up and the spring sprung. But, I decided to buy a new spring to see if that helped. It works fine when not attached, but as soon as I tighten it down it is hard to pull and won't recoil yet again.

What could be wrong?

Thank you for your time.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-08-05, 03:37 PM
The Screws You Tightened Down Back Off A Little The Try... Ma Hahe Been Over Tightened At Factory

Old 05-08-05, 10:22 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hello noguru!

Those trimmers aren't built to very demanding specs, so it's hard to guess exactly what could be wrong. I'd say the flex cable and/or trimmer head is in need of grease.

Old 05-09-05, 12:44 PM
Thanks Cheese, but this is a blower, not a trimmer!!

Old 05-10-05, 01:11 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Oops, sorry. I see that now in the thread title. Does it spin easily with the spark plug out?

Old 05-10-05, 04:05 AM
I've seen this many times on these units, supposing, that is, that the rewind starter is on the bottom side of the blower. If so, these have a tendency of overheating and warping. The upper blower housing (which is the rewind pulley mount) usually needs to be replaced due to such warpage. Personally, I'd forget it and buy a better unit.

Old 05-10-05, 10:49 AM
Well, I did try backing out the screws a little as bambiblaster suggested, but that didn't help. I'll try taking the plug out and see if it works better like cheese suggested, but of course that won't help much since it won't blow without the plug! Sounds to me like puey61 probably has hit the nail on the head since the rewind starter IS on the bottom of the blower and I always felt like it got pretty hot on the bottom side.

I have one more question though before I toss it in the trash. Is there a diaphragm on line you can point me to. Maybe there's a washer missing or something. It wouldn't be the first time a bad unit came out of a factory. I thought if I could see a pic of all the parts I could double check it.

Of course, if not, I'll have the perfect excuse to buy a blower/vac!

Thanks for all the good help!!!

Old 05-11-05, 12:41 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Of course it won't blow with the plug removed, but it will allow you to determine whether the binding is in the recoil assembly, or the engine. Of course, the engine wouldn't affect the rewinding of the rope, but it could affect the amount of pull required to pull the rope. I really think Puey61 is on the right track. I haven't seen this problem yet, but I don't work on that many blowers either, especially weedeater brand.