oil in muffler and air filter help!!!!!

Old 05-07-05, 08:30 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
oil in muffler and air filter help!!!!!

couple weeks ago was mowing the lawn and stopped to take a break and came back and mower would not start so after about 10 pulls and 5 pushes of the primer checked all fluids and noticed the oil dip stick indicated I needed to refill so went the hardware store and got what I thought was the right oil (2 stroke) got home filled her up and obviously no start later found out needed sae 30 so tipped mower over drained all the oil out and refilled with correct oil so after about a dozen pulls she cranked over but with alot of smoke and oil shooting out the muffler so let her run thinking it would flush the old oil out but after couple minutes decided against it and let her sit for a while now she won't crank over took the muffler off and covered with oil and took air filter off and both covered in oil cranked her over couple times and oil comes out both ends looks like the new oil and not the old oil it is a nice honey color so not sure did I ruin the engine Help

Old 05-08-05, 06:59 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Sounds Like You May Have Overfilled It

Old 05-10-05, 03:00 AM
B
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
oil overfill

so what should I do I have cranked so much I can't tie my shoes anymore and going to the bathroom is getting to be a chore not to mention Home Depot is making a mint on air filter sales

Old 05-10-05, 03:42 AM
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
You have oil in the combustion chamber. Remove the spark plug, buy a can of carburetor cleaner or brake cleaner, spray such cleaner (2-3 second bursts at a time for 2-3 times), tuck the plug wire safely out of the way, cover the plug hole with a rag/towel and pull the starter over several times to purge the oil out. Use the same spray cleaner in the muffler and flush this out as best can. Install a new plug, air filter(s) and let her run. It will likely smoke for a little while. Make sure the oil sump level is not over-filled. By the way, you made no mention of what brand mower and engine you have but the vast majority of engines have a oil drain at the bottom of the engine (in the blade area) whereas you can tip the mower up at a 45 degree angle with the muffler side up in order to drain the oil sump.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: