20 hp Briggs Twin Backfiring

Old 05-08-05, 12:02 AM
20 hp Briggs Twin Backfiring

Hello all & Cheese! I've gone brain damaged plus I have almost NO experience with 2 cylinders. My cousin has a 20 hp Briggs Twin that he says will crank and run with the choke on but then almost constantly backfires?? I don't have the numbers off the engine ...yet? Am I looking at a timing issue (Key), Sticking valve(s)?, a carb problem? or none of the above? Thanks for any help, Ron

Sponsored Links
Old 05-08-05, 03:45 PM
1st Step Would Be Clean And Adjust The Carb....

Old 05-08-05, 10:17 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hi Ron!

I agree, pull the top of the carb off and clean it out. On the left hand side of the carb should be a drain plug near the base of the bowl. Remove it and you will have access to the main jet. Reach through the drain hole with an allen wrench (can't remember for sure what size....maybe 3/16") and remove the main jet and clean it and the area behind it as well. (this info pertains to opposed twin engines. If yours isn't opposed, the carb setup will be different).

Let us know how it does!

Old 05-13-05, 08:40 PM
Thanks Bambiblaster I'm pretty sure you were right. It was and is a carb problem. Thanks for the info, Cheese! I'm sorry I didn't get an e-mail that you had posted and I've been so busy that I failed to check this until today. I STILL HAVE A MINOR PROBLEM! Here are the Briggs numbers: 40777 0167-E1 020613. The unit hasn't been tuned up since it was new??? I did it all and replaced everything with new stuff. It started easy enough but still backfired. Since I was not familiar with this carb I jut filled it full of carb cleaner and let it dry out several times. The backfiring went away except for 'Now and Then'? Cheese, I found the fuel line to be cracked in several places so I'm headed back Monday to take care of that. I honestly don't remember if the carb is as you explained? I'm printing your instructions but here is what I remember so you can guide me if it is different! The carb sits dead center. There are two bolts that secure it to the engine and they are parallel to the ground! On the top of the carb there is a plate that is screwed on with several screws. I believe 4 but could be 5 or 6. Help if you can and I promise to get my questions and info in better order the next time! Hope all is well with the family, business is good and you are getting a little rest during this really "BUSY' season! Thanks as always ,Ron.

Old 05-14-05, 03:03 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
That's a V twin engine, different carb than I described. The top with 4 screws holding it on doesn't sound like the V twin carb though. The model # is for an intek engine which is a V engine though. The backfiring is a sign of fuel starvation, and the carb would be the culprit if you've determined it's getting a good fuel supply to the carb. This carb is probably non-adjustable and may be hard to get it running as good as the older adjustable carbs.

Quote: "Hope all is well with the family, business is good and you are getting a little rest during this really "BUSY' season!"

We're doing great, thanks! Not much rest, busy busy busy. I was short of help today, so I worked double time. Not many people need a shower more than I do right now, lol!!! Take care, and let us know how it goes with the backfiring briggs.