Self-propelled lawn mower repair

Old 05-11-05, 07:25 AM
janaramaw
Visiting Guest
Self-propelled lawn mower repair

My self-propelled lawn mower no longer propels itself. It is a Yard-Man 979C - Model# 12A-979C401. I've read the owner's guide, torn into it & found no apparent problems.

I have checked the belt and it seems to be okay. I have searched everywhere for information on this to no avail. Any ideas on things I should check?

Last edited by janaramaw; 05-11-05 at 07:52 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-11-05, 07:39 AM
Azis
Visiting Guest
There are hundreds of types of self propelled lawn mowers...perhaps u could narrow it down a bit...perhaps make and model and #'s are usually helpfull

Old 05-11-05, 07:47 AM
janaramaw
Visiting Guest
It is a Yard-Man 979C - Model# 12A-979C401. I've read the owner's guide, torn into it & found no apparent problems.

Old 05-12-05, 08:22 AM
Azis
Visiting Guest
http://manuals.mtdproducts.com/mtd/m.../770-0417A.pdf
If this is the same manual you have, it also has a procedure for changing the drive belt. Check routing and tension when the drive clutch is engaged. While running attempt to propell the unit and lift the rear wheels slightly and carefully, do they turn? does the engine RPM change? Do you have the same result in all 6 speeds?
If the wheels try to turn when lifted off the ground, most likely the belt is stretched or glazed or, in need of replacement.
If you pull the shroud off of the transmission, does the belt turn the pulley when engaged? You can also observe the output shafts of the tranny. Find where the drive system stops turning beginning with the belt and follow it to the wheels.