Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Troy Bilt Ignition problems! Help!

Visiting Guest

05-11-05, 01:19 PM   #1  
MetallicaMatt
Troy Bilt Ignition problems! Help!

My ignition has taken a dump on my troy bilt riding tractor. Its maybe 5-7 years old. I want to wire it up with a toggle and push button start. But I don't know what wires need to be connected to where.

I have removed the ignition and here are the wires that I have:
red with yellow stripe
2 red with black stripe
black
blue
red

the model is 28Q777 or it might be 280777 -- its hard to tell
this is on the 14hp motor

Can someone please tell me how to wire this up? This is my last resort to why the thing wont start. I can jump it and it'll start to turn over, but wont run b/c the iginition is apart. I have check all other eletrical components and they are in working order. (tested them at work with an engineer)

The tractor does have lights and the seat saftey switch. I don't want either of these to work. I just want the bare bones wiring so the thing will start and charge the battery.

Thanks a lot!

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-12-05, 01:35 AM   #2  
You'd be time, money, and effort ahead to replace the ignition switch if that's all that's wrong. I can't identify which wire is which just by the color. Their placement on the old switch might help figure out which is which.

Blue should be for the lights, red should be battery pos, and black is probably but not definitely ground.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

NY

05-12-05, 03:29 AM   #3  
You, hopefully, still have the Troy manuals which came with the tractor. You will need a schematic of the wiring of this particular machine in order to do a re-wire. If you do not have a schematic check their website for a manual download based on the units model and serial numbers.

Visiting Guest

05-12-05, 09:04 AM   #4  
Azis
Only online manuals for Troybilt I have found, (for free download) are now on the MTD archive site. They only have an operators manual http://manuals.mtdproducts.com/mtd/manuals/272904.PDF for the engine, with no schematic. It does however mention a repair manual part no. 272147 And briggs has an IPL but only for sale http://shop.briggsandstratton.com/BS...ngineType=0125

Visiting Guest

05-12-05, 02:10 PM   #5  
MetallicaMatt
i have the schematic

but they show wire looms over parts of it, so you cant see what wire went to where

Visiting Guest

05-13-05, 08:54 AM   #6  
Azis
A schematic or IPL of the harness?

Search this Thread