Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Craftsman String Trimmer

Visiting Guest

05-11-05, 05:52 PM   #1  
algrames
Craftsman String Trimmer

I have a craftsman string trimmer model number 358795140. When I got it (used) it didn't have any of the gas lines. I have tried researching and have found that it takes two different gas lines and a fuel pick-up assembly. I have installed them the best I know how, but can't seem to get any fuel to pass through the lines and into the engine! Any thoughts?

Sponsored Links

PA

05-11-05, 06:26 PM   #2  
Is There A Primer Bulb On The Carb .. Press 3 - 4 Times And Also May Have Lines Reversed(just A Posibility)

Visiting Guest

05-11-05, 06:35 PM   #3  
algrames
Yes, it has a bulb. I thought of possibly having them switched but when I switch them the result is still negative. What is the proper placement?

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-12-05, 01:16 AM   #4  
Sounds to me like the carburetor needs work. If the primer is working right, and the carb is ok, one fitting will push air out when you press the primer, and the other will suck air in when you release it. The one that sucks air in is the one that goes to the line with the filter on it.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Visiting Guest

05-12-05, 08:10 AM   #5  
algrames
What should my next step be?

Visiting Guest

05-12-05, 09:13 AM   #6  
Azis
Did you check the primer and fuel lines by doing the steps Cheese mentioned? What was the result?

Visiting Guest

05-12-05, 11:18 AM   #7  
algrames
Yea, I tried moving the lines around and still nothing. I can tell when I press the bulb, cause air is pushed out, but it isn't drawing it back up...

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-13-05, 01:02 AM   #8  
Time to disassemble the carb, clean it well, and install a rebuild kit in it.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

NY

05-13-05, 03:57 AM   #9  
It certainly sounds as though it needs a carburetor recon but don't overlook the primer itself. If it is mounted remotely (as opposed to directly on the carb), this too may be trouble. In doing a carb recon, be sure to replace the fuel inlet screen in the carb. My guess is that it is plugged. The screen will come with a carburetor rebuild kit. I just took the time to check out, online, which carb you have and the primer bulb is integral to the carb. The Walbro kit part number is K20-WAT and the primer bulb is part number is 188-16-1. Find a Walbro parts stocking dealer in your area and purchase these two items.

Visiting Guest

05-13-05, 09:29 AM   #10  
algrames
Hey, thanks for the information! I'll check out your lead!

Visiting Guest

05-13-05, 09:44 AM   #11  
algrames
Can I simply remove the screen that is currently in place, clean it and then replace it?

NY

05-13-05, 03:17 PM   #12  
You certainly can try. I think you will have difficulty cleaning it unless you use a bath type cleaner, in which case you should soak the whole carburetor. Which, by the way, I would suggest anyhow. Another option is to remove the screen altogether, provided you keep the pick-up filter cleaned at all times.

Visiting Guest

05-16-05, 10:47 AM   #13  
algrames
No Luck! I tried it all and still nothing! It's strange, cause when I press the primer bulb, air is forced out, but there is no 'sucking' of gas into the carb...

Are there any resources that include diagrams and complete part assembly lists of this carb? Maybe I've done something basic ...

Visiting Guest

05-26-05, 07:54 PM   #14  
oldmedic
Craftsman Trimmer

I think the clue here is he bought a used trimmer without gas lines! Previous owner probably left it sitting for an extended period with fuel in it and the lines hardened and crumbled. The carb itsself is probably full of varnish and really needs carb kit and cleaning. From my experience he's lucky the primer didn't turn to dust as well. Quit beating around the bush and dive into the carb. oldmedic

Search this Thread