Weed Eater will not draw gas into the engine

Old 05-12-05, 02:04 AM
johnnyx38
Visiting Guest
Weed Eater will not draw gas into the engine

I have a weed eater trim mower, 18 cc, I have taken it apart, replaced the gas, spark plugs, and fuel lines. The problem is it will not draw gas into the engine. The primer bulb is fine, creates good suction, but when used to prime engine, it will not draw gas. If I take apart the air filter, and spray gas in the carburator, it will start, but when that is gone, it dies. Am I doing something wrong, I am at a loss.

I am thinking there is an air leak somewhere, any help would be great.

Thanks
John

Sponsored Links
Old 05-12-05, 03:19 AM
There is a small screen inside the carburetor - opposite the fuel inlet fitting - that is likely plugged. Since it is easier to service the carb with it off the engine, i'd suggest installing a rebuild kit as this will also freshen it up. Depending on the amount of varnish build-up, if any, you may need to soak the carb in a bath type cleaner.

Old 05-12-05, 01:44 PM
johnnyx38
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the help puey

Thanks for the help, I did notice a little screen inside, and what seemed to be like a white ashey look to it, did not think nothing of it, till now. When you say, the carburator needs a bath soaking, are you referring to some varnish remover, then let it soak sort of thing ?

I quote " you may need to soak the carb in a bath type cleaner " are you referring to a cleaner for baths ? or a soaking in a varnish remover, and if so any good varnish removers,

Thanks
Johnnyx38

Old 05-13-05, 12:51 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Puey61 is referring to a cleaner specifically made for carbs. It is available at most auto parts stores, and can be bought in gallon cans. Napa has a good one, and others are Chemdip and berryman's.