Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Lawn Boy petered to a halt - cant get it restarted...

05-13-05, 02:57 PM   #1  
Lawn Boy petered to a halt - cant get it restarted...

I started my lawnboy this afternoon, after 10 minutes of mowing the engine started to slow down - fairly gradually over 2 or 3 minutes until it slowed so much, it stopped.

I popped the air filter off to see if it was the cause, and it wasn't. I restarted once or twice, but it ran slow, I experiment with the throttle lever to no avail.

After a couple starts to a very slow speed - it would not start again.

Any ideas? I mix my oil and gas and believe I'm doing it correctly - It ran decently last year.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

Sponsored Links

NY

05-13-05, 03:04 PM   #2  
First, check to see if the gas cap is venting properly - it must! If so, you said you "think" you have mixed the oil/fuel properly. Exactly what ratio did you mix it at? If, after setting awhile it restarts and runs again for ten or so minutes, it likely is the gas cap.

05-13-05, 06:41 PM   #3  
Yeah - once I blew the cap hole (that didn't sound right) it ran fine.

Lets talk about that fuel/oil mix - because the mower smokes alot and discharges some gas/oil mixture.

I find the side of the 2 cycle engine oil can confusing at best. But I was never good at math...

For one gallon of gas I add 1 8oz can of 2 cycle oil. Ratio of 16:1

Now for a 2 gallon gas can it says add one can of oil 32:1

But - I add 2 cans because the instructions are confusing and my interpretation is 1 can for every gallon.

Please straighten me out on this. The engine has some gas and oil that looks like it spurted out the front left portion of the motor by the front left wheel. I guess that is the muffler. It seems like it is running rougher. Man, I had a briggs and stratton that the rest of the mower collapsed before the engine. I miss it!

Please feel free to give any advice.

Thanks!

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-14-05, 03:13 AM   #4  
If one can equals 32:1 in two gallons, then 2 cans in two gallons would be 16:1. You got it. It does sound like your cap vent is plugged.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

NY

05-14-05, 09:57 AM   #5  
My suggestion to all 2-stroke owners: Buy a quality synthetic oil, mix it per their instructions (simply, usually, one package per gallon of gas) and be done with needing to interpret ratios. Do not ever try this with a petrolium based oil as they do not have the lubricating ability that synthetics do and you must figure the ratio for each particular piece of two stroke equipment you have. With synthetic all you will need to have is one can of gas for all 2-stroke equipment you have...not one mixed at 32:1 another at 40:1 and yet another at 50:1!!!

Search this Thread