Toro Mower

Old 05-14-05, 04:57 AM
equineone
Visiting Guest
Toro Mower

I have a 2yr old Toro 22" Recycler self propelled lawn mower... I can't get it started... I have changed the plug, the filter, the oil the gas... I have rechecked the plug to see if it was fouled the thing wont start...
It was working beautifully one day, lent it to my mother in law, got it back and now it wont work... she swears she didn't do anything to it
I would like to fix it my self if I can, is there a gas filter that may need to be replaced,,, ?
Any help would be much appreciated, my lawn is becoming a hay field.
thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 05-14-05, 09:40 AM
She says she didn't do anything to it but she likely added gas to it. The gas she used may well be too old. Try flushing out the carburetor bowl and give 'er a go. Hopefully you don't have to recon the carb.

Old 05-15-05, 11:35 AM
equineone
Visiting Guest
Thanks,

Thanks, What is a carbourator bowl? Where is it?
The husband tried various things today... including cleaning out the little "tank" underneath the primer button. He was able to get it started... but when he let it "shut off" could not get it started again... now the primer button is not spraying (?) gas like it was before. It sounds like we need to send it out to be fixed... probably wont happen until next weekend, so if you have anything more to offer... that would be great!
Please understand that my husband is willing to try anything, but has no experience (until now) with small engines!
Thanks again!

Old 05-15-05, 11:10 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The "tank" you described under the primer button is the bowl. I believe the gas that was added had water in it, and since water is heavier than gas, it's going straight to the carb bowl. It worked when he cleaned the bowl, because the water was cleaned out, but then it got more in it and wouldn't re-start. Just my theory, but worth a check.

Old 05-16-05, 06:16 AM
equineone
Visiting Guest
Smile Thanks,

Ok,
So, he has emptied the tank(as in the whole mower gas tank) on a few occassions, but has always used gas from a gas container that is kept on a covered porch (I believe the gas is relatively fresh, but I am not sure). So I suppose it's possible (even probable) that there is water in the gas from the container,,, if from nothing other than condensation right?
Also, can the mower get water in the gas like a car does? and what do you do about it... can you use drygas to "fix" it? or do you empty out the gas from the mower and use brand new fresh gas?
Thanks so much for the response...

Old 05-16-05, 11:13 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The only way you can get water in the tank of a car or mower is to have it introduced, either in contaminated gas or rain, or whatever...OR condensation. The condensation will occurr over time, and usually is worst when temps vary the greatest from day high temp to night low temp. Drygas is supposed to help, but I've never used it.

Old 05-17-05, 02:14 AM
equineone
Visiting Guest
Lawn Mower problem solved

Problem solved with the Toro problem. Simple fix clearly I had an old gas can that must have got moisture in it. I just bought a new gas can, drained gas out of the engine and put in clean gas and she is running beautiful. Thanks to all for your advise. It is amazing how something so simple was a pain in the neck.

Old 05-18-05, 01:19 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Glad you got it! Make sure you keep the caps on and tight on the fuel tank. This will keep condensation from forming. (If air can't enter the tank, then it can't carry moisture in to build condensation).