Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Burnt something up on my riding tractor

PA

05-15-05, 08:11 AM   #1  
Burnt something up on my riding tractor

I have an MTD Yard Machine with a 17.5 HP Briggs engine.
Model 13an607h352 Serial 1l050h10230 As soon as I tried to engage the blades the engine would stop. I saw a male connector with red and white wires hanging down along side my engine. Close by was a female connector with yellow and red wires. I hooked them together. When I tried to start the engine I saw a wisp of smoke come from the grill on top the engine. I guess I burnt something up because the engine doesn't even try to start now. Afterward I saw another female connector with red and white wires farther up along side the engine. Apparently I hooked the wrong connectors together. What do I need to fix my tractor?
Thank you!!

Sponsored Links

PA

05-15-05, 03:21 PM   #2  
Update

An update.....I found a fuse that was blown, replaced it and now at least the engine cranks but I am getting no spark. Do you have any idea what to replace?
Thank you!!

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-15-05, 11:04 PM   #3  
Yep, you probably put power to the kill wire on the coil and cooked the coil. You'll need a new one if so.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

PA

05-16-05, 07:11 AM   #4  
Thank you, cheese. How difficult is it to replace the coil?

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-16-05, 11:09 PM   #5  
Not hard at all. Just remove the engine shroud from the top of the engine and remove the old coil. Install the new one, rotate the engine so that the magnet pulls the coil to the flywheel, insert a .010" feeler guage (or a business card will work) between the coil and the magnets on the flywheel and tighten the coil bolts. Make sure to reconnect the small black wire to the coil too.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread