Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Synthetic Oil in a push mower???

05-15-05, 05:20 PM   #1  
Synthetic Oil in a push mower???

I'm looking to buy another lawn mower as I seem to go through them quite often (one every 5 years). Can I use synthetic motor oil in these babies (amsoil)?
Thanks so much and may God bless,
Peter

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-15-05, 10:25 PM   #2  
Hello Peter!

You can use it, although I'm not convinced it will help. It shouldn't hurt either. Use an oil that will fall into the warranty requirements in case you have a warranty issue in the future. If in doubt about the warranty, call the mfgr (1-800 number should be in owner's manual) and inquire.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

05-16-05, 02:38 PM   #3  
Since your mower doesnt have a filter (most likely) it is not worth the extra expense of synthetic. You will have to replace the oil due to contamination long before it breaks down from heat cycling.

05-16-05, 04:57 PM   #4  
Thanks guys. I appreciate the feedback.
It's just that in my mowers it seems like the oil reeeeeally cooks. I had one mower that when the engine cooled the oil was like molasses.
Take care and may God bless!!!
Peter

NC

05-16-05, 05:38 PM   #5  
alamal,

I agree with cheese about checking your owners manual for requirements. I have a 25 year old briggs with many many hours of run time and a known chipped ring. Before I switched to synth, it used to burn around a pint of oil every three hours. After switching to Mobil 1 syth it's down to teaspoons. Also, the engine sounds tighter with less knock than before. Although, this is a 12hp lawn tractor engine I would assume the benefits would far out way the added cost of the oil. Always, change your oil according to manufactures' specs regardless of oil used.

Dave

Search this Thread