Starting an engine after 5 years

Old 05-17-05, 01:32 PM
montysimmons
Visiting Guest
Starting an engine after 5 years

I have a generator powered by the following Briggs & Stratton engine.

MODEL NUMBER: 19E412 / TYPE: 0131 / TRIM: 01 / CODE: 9602081C

The generator had been sitting for about 5 years without being started. I did the following before attempting to start the engine:

- removed and replaced all fuel lines and fuel filter;
- removed and cleaned fuel pump;
- removed, disassembled and cleaned the carburetor;
- removed, drained and cleaned the gas tank and added new fuel; and
- drained and refilled the oil.

Then I attempted to start the engine. No luck. So I did the following:

-- I removed the plug and checked for fire. There is no fire. I tried a new plug (although not correct type just to see if a plug would fire) -- Still no fire.

-- The engine has an on/off switch (that appears simply to ground the magneto coil when in the off position) so I verified proper operation of the on/off switch. The switch is ok;

-- I removed the flywheel housing – blower. The flywheel is very rusty, especially along the magnetic area. I cleaned the magnetic area (don’t know why, can’t image why rust would cause a problem as the magnetic field was present) but the remainder of the flywheel is still rusty. Still no fire.

-- I removed the Armature – magneto (P/N: 398811) and measured the resistance from the end of the plug wire to the magneto case (ground point). The magneto’s resistance was 0.1 ohms (almost a short). I know a “coil” is just a wire wound in a coil and thus should have low resistance, but I would expect at least 45 ohms of resistance.

The person I got the generator from claims the generator “ran fine 5 years ago”. Consequently, it seems unlikely that the magneto would go bad just sitting. Still, I suspect the problem is with the magneto or perhaps the plug wire, but I do not know for sure and a new magneto cost $40.05.

Questions:

(1) Does anyone know how to test a magneto or perhaps know the expected resistance for a magneto?

(2) Any tips on things to do to this engine before starting it?

(3) Any ideas as to why the magneto does not generate fire ?

Thank you in advance for your time.

Last edited by montysimmons; 05-17-05 at 01:55 PM.
Old 05-17-05, 08:04 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
two things that I have had problems with

Originally Posted by montysimmons
I have a generator powered by the following Briggs & Stratton engine.

MODEL NUMBER: 19E412 / TYPE: 0131 / TRIM: 01 / CODE: 9602081C

The generator had been sitting for about 5 years without being started. I did the following before attempting to start the engine:

- removed and replaced all fuel lines and fuel filter;
- removed and cleaned fuel pump;
- removed, disassembled and cleaned the carburetor;
- removed, drained and cleaned the gas tank and added new fuel; and
- drained and refilled the oil.

Then I attempted to start the engine. No luck. So I did the following:

-- I removed the plug and checked for fire. There is no fire. I tried a new plug (although not correct type just to see if a plug would fire) -- Still no fire.

-- The engine has an on/off switch (that appears simply to ground the magneto coil when in the off position) so I verified proper operation of the on/off switch. The switch is ok;

-- I removed the flywheel housing – blower. The flywheel is very rusty, especially along the magnetic area. I cleaned the magnetic area (don’t know why, can’t image why rust would cause a problem as the magnetic field was present) but the remainder of the flywheel is still rusty. Still no fire.

-- I removed the Armature – magneto (P/N: 398811) and measured the resistance from the end of the plug wire to the magneto case (ground point). The magneto’s resistance was 0.1 ohms (almost a short). I know a “coil” is just a wire wound in a coil and thus should have low resistance, but I would expect at least 45 ohms of resistance.

The person I got the generator from claims the generator “ran fine 5 years ago”. Consequently, it seems unlikely that the magneto would go bad just sitting. Still, I suspect the problem is with the magneto or perhaps the plug wire, but I do not know for sure and a new magneto cost $40.05.

Questions:

(1) Does anyone know how to test a magneto or perhaps know the expected resistance for a magneto?

(2) Any tips on things to do to this engine before starting it?

(3) Any ideas as to why the magneto does not generate fire ?

Thank you in advance for your time.
Alright, if the magento has any surface rust where it meets the flywheel, then remove it with a wire-brush. Also, if you have a stop wire, check to see if it is touching metal and is clean. Good luck, and I hope that this helps.

Old 05-18-05, 12:41 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
I've never seen the rust on a flywheel cause any problems unless it's thick enough to change the air gap between the armature and flywheel.

If you unplug the kill wire from the coil and check for spark with the spark plug touching metal on the engine, and get no spark, then the coil is bad. The coil resistance is checked from the kill wire terminal to the armature legs (ground) but I don't remember the resistance. Seems like it was around 30 ohms or so.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: