starter spring doesn't pull on lawnmover

Old 05-17-05, 08:36 PM
Enick
Visiting Guest
Question starter spring doesn't pull on lawnmover

I bought this lawnmower last year and everything was fine.
When I tried to start it last week, I put new gas and oil, but I couldn't pull the string. It got stock.
I didn't have enough space in my shed, so I stored it vertically, on front wheels, but I don't think that might be the reason why I can't pull that string. Itís Yard Machine, 5hp. Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-18-05, 12:31 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hello Enick!

That's the reason! Oil from the engine seeped past the rings and filled the cylinder. You'll need to remove the spark plug and crank the engine several times (it will blow oil out the plug hole, so be careful where you do this...you can put a can or something in front of the hole to catch the oil). Then, clean the plug and try to start it. When you get it started, it will smoke like a freight train for a bit, but it will settle down.

Old 05-18-05, 04:44 PM
Enick
Visiting Guest
Thanks. I'll try it on the weekend.

Old 05-22-05, 07:36 PM
Enick
Visiting Guest
It works.
Thanks again.

Old 05-23-05, 12:14 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Great! Glad we could help!

Old 06-12-05, 01:16 AM
nezi
Visiting Guest
Can't pull pulley

I have a rototiller with a Honda GX 340 on it. I tipped the tiller on its side after just using it as I need to tighten the tines up. When I placed the tiller back on its wheels I couldn't pull the pulley out more than a 1/2 revolution, it all the sudden got stuck and wouldn't move anymore. I took the pulley off and it is working fine by itself. I then tried to turn the engine over with a screwdriver but it would only turn 1/2 revolution. Am I in the same boat as Enick? I am looking for a 13/16" socket to remove my spark plug. What do you think before I remove the plug?

Old 06-12-05, 01:55 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Yup. Sounds like you've got the same problem.

Old 06-12-05, 09:34 AM
nezi
Visiting Guest
Yes, thank you! I took the spark plug out and found lots of oil inside. I had to pull the pulley lots of times to get it to get all the oil out. I put the plug in and out several times as it was getting wet each time from residual oil. Had to dry it off with a torch as it was getting wet everytime I put it back in. After about 4 times doing this it finally kicked over and smoked for about 10 minutes.Thanks again for your help and this site. God Bless.

Old 06-12-05, 10:56 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Glad we could help!