Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Oil Consumption - 15hp Briggs Mower

05-18-05, 04:42 AM   #1  
Oil Consumption - 15hp Briggs Mower

Hello All

I've got a 12 year old Craftman Rider with a 15hp Briggs OHV engine. I inherited the machine from the previous owner of the home. From the overall condition of the mower I don't think it was taken care of very well. Oil was like sludge.

Now my problem - It consumes approx 8 ozs of oil for ever 2 hours of use. It smokes fairly heavy from the exhaust and the plug gets fouled quickly. However, I believe it runs too well to have a broken ring or a valve concern.

One thing I noticed is that the crankcase hose between the engine and air cleaner housing is very clean/dry. I would expect some oil/moisture in this area. The hose connects to a plate bolted with 2 small 8mm screws to the side of the engine. I'm thinking I've got excessive crankcase pressure causing my oil burning problem. Before I tear this thing apart, do you all think I'm on the right track? How would the previous lack of maintenece contribute to this problem?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links

05-19-05, 04:18 AM   #2  
bump......

NY

05-19-05, 03:40 PM   #3  
What weight oil did you change it to? Did you overfill the crankcase? I don't think you have a breather problem (the tube you mentioned) as the oil would puddle up in the air cleaner area. Since this engine is likely an overhead valve arrangement you could have a blown head gasket whereas the area between the push rod chamber and the combustion chamber is blown out causing oil to seep into the combustion chamber and burn off. Bare in mind though since you said it doesn't appear to have been well maintained that you may have a scored cylinder situation.

05-19-05, 04:25 PM   #4  
Thanks for the reply. Running SAE30. Filled to the end of crosshatch on stick. You maybe correct about an internal gasket issue causing the consumption. Next mower will have a Kohler. Thanks again.

Search this Thread