Craftsman buzzes, won't start

Old 05-18-05, 08:31 AM
kevbot
Visiting Guest
Cool Craftsman buzzes, won't start

Hello, looks like a great forum here. I have a craftsman 13 hp electric start lawn tractor model no. 917.252501.

Problem: When I turn the ignition key, the starter solenoid (i think) buzzes/vibrates and nothing else happens. I don't know much about engines, but I am starting to like tinkering. Anyhow, i replaced the solonoid and the new one does the same buzzing thing as the old. Do you think i should replace the starter? There's sufficient oil and gas and the battery is charged. Thanks so much.

kevin

Sponsored Links
Old 05-18-05, 06:10 PM
Sounds Like Bad Ground,,, Remove Battery Groung Cable From Where It Mounts To Frame.. Clean And Sand Terminal And Area And Re-install And Try...

Old 05-18-05, 07:34 PM
Also clean positive and ground connections at batt. Also check condition of cables where lugs are crimped on them at batt connections.
Mike

Old 05-19-05, 03:14 AM
You stated the battery was charged but that doesn't necessarily mean it has sufficient amperage. Sure it may have 12 volts but may not have the torque (amperage) needed. Take it out of the machine and have a local battery supplier or automotive store test it for sufficient load.

Old 05-19-05, 11:54 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Agreed, I think you have a bad battery, or possibly loose or bad connections.